Active IQ and AutoSupport Discussions

messages file not found

satvir123

Hello Guys,

We are facing some issue while reading file /etc/messages. I noticed the issue while I tried reading the messages via telnet using command rdfile /etc/messages where I got the message that "file not found". Then I looked for the messages file in the etc directory using windows explorer. I can see the files messages.0, messages.1 etc. The messages.0 file was last created on 06/06/2011. I am not able to find any message created after 6/6/11.

Also there is no message in the autosupport mail(nither weekly nor manual).

Does anyone have any idea about this??? Any suggestion appreciated.

Regards;

Satvir

2 REPLIES 2

BrendonHiggins

Hi

I always use filerview to read measages, it is the only thing it does well.  By the sounds of it someone has edited the config file.

The /etc/messages file

By default, all system messages of level INFO and higher are sent to the console and to the /etc/messages file, which enables you to see a record of events on your storage system and use scripts to parse for particular events.

The /etc/messages file is rotated once a week, and six weeks of messages are retained.

You can use the logger command to create and send a system message explicitly. For more information about the logger command, see the na_logger(1) man page.

If you would like to change the level of messages that are sent to /etc/messages, you can edit /etc/syslog.conf. For more information about message levels and the /etc/syslog.conf file, see the na_syslog.conf(5) man page.

Hope it helps

Bren

sahil_anand

If you are not able too see file, You can create a file. Mount root volume in linux, create a file touch /etc/messages, and make sure filer is logging in /etc/syslog.conf. 

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public