Ask The Experts

Can't copy long filenames from snapshot back to original location

jimb32

A user deleted a folder and as a usualy practice, I attempted to copy the folder from a previous copy (shadow copy) back to the original location (this is a Windows environment). However, the copy fails due to long filenames in many of the subfolders. I can't restore the folder as the folder in question is a subfolder of the snapshot folder. My workaround (for now) is to copy many folders a few at a time, but I'm still hit with the message that some files can't be copied due to the long filename. 

I've never experienced this before when copying from the Previous Copies - has anyone ever seen this and any suggestions how to copy all of the subfolder contents  back to the original location?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

donny_lang

If you right-click on the folder that you want to restore (after selecting your desired shadow copy) and click on "Properties", you'll see a string like "\\localhost\F$\@GMT-2019.07.03-12.00.00\FolderName" in the "Location" field of the file/folder. You can then use Robocopy to restore the folder and its contents. 

robocopy \\localhost\F$\@GMT-2019.07.03-12.00.00\FolderName C:\Path\to\RestoreLocation /E /COPYALL

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Tom_Cox

Have you tried ‘Long Path Tool’ ?
it’s very useful in this type of case.

donny_lang

If you right-click on the folder that you want to restore (after selecting your desired shadow copy) and click on "Properties", you'll see a string like "\\localhost\F$\@GMT-2019.07.03-12.00.00\FolderName" in the "Location" field of the file/folder. You can then use Robocopy to restore the folder and its contents. 

robocopy \\localhost\F$\@GMT-2019.07.03-12.00.00\FolderName C:\Path\to\RestoreLocation /E /COPYALL

View solution in original post

Sergey_Osipov

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/fileio/naming-a-file#fully-qualified-vs-relative-paths

From restore perspective you can try to mount this snapshot as a r\o share and copy\paste needed files from it

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public