Ask The Experts

Files owned by another user are copied to a CIFS Netapp volume with zero permissions using w2016

PaddyM

We are looking at an issue with an AbInitio Win2016 Data Gateway which copies a file to or from a CIFS Netapp volume and it gets created with zero permissions and so cannot be seen by the application to be used or actioned.

BUT

It can be explicitly listed and shows as having rw permissions. Same happens using w2012 Data Gateway but works a treat using a Win2008 Abinitio data gateway!

We have tried assigning the account explicit full control of the folder and the same still happens. We have also checked Security Polices and SMB related forums and still none the wiser!

The copy command is using linux

m_cp unc://abdg-unit//af05/af05/Groups/SOLVENCY2/lkp_rds_exposure_group_new/test_Exposure_Group.csv unc://abdg-unit//af05/af05/Groups/SOLVENCY2/lkp_rds_exposure_group_new/test_Exposure_Group.csv_copy

When it gets listed well here we go...

Viewed using the W2016 Gateway server:

xxx$  m_ls -al  "unc://abdg-phx-dev//af05/af05/Groups/SOLVENCY2/lkp_rds_exposure_group_new/rds_exposure_group.csv"

----------     Domain\XXXXXX CORP\Domain+Users              84,394 Apr 11 16:12      file://abdg-phx-dev/~unc/af05/af05/Groups/SOLVENCY2/lkp_rds_exposure_group_new/rds_exposure_group.csv

Now the same thing on 2008 the permissions and ownership get translated to correct userid

xxx$  m_ls -al  "unc://abdg-unit//af05/af05/Groups/SOLVENCY2/lkp_rds_exposure_group_new/test_Exposure_Group.csv"

-rw-rw-rw-     Domain\XXXXX CORP\Domain+Users              59,221 Aug 01 07:32      file://abdg-unit/~unc/af05/af05/Groups/SOLVENCY2/lkp_rds_exposure_group_new/test_Exposure_Group.csv

HELP Please

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

PaddyM

Hello Vijay,

We have found the issue to be in the AbInitio Software we were using . They had changed a default option to view the files with Owner permissions and not Everyone as before. They will be releasing a fix to this but no timescales yet.

The ACL permissions were showing in Windows (CIFS) but also under Unix (NFS).

So if anyone is running AbInitio v3.5.2.2 on W2016 and comes across the same issue then you can wait fo rthe fix or use v3.3.1.4 and just get AbInitio to confirm they will support you on that release for w2016 Data Gateways!

I will mark this issue as resolved now

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Vijay_ramamurthy

Hi,

I reviwed the details provided. I will need some more clarity on them before we can identify the cause. 

Some of the details needed:
1) What is Volume/QTREE security stlye ?
2) Files are created or copied into the volume using NFS or CIFS ?
3) Do we have the necessary unix-win or win-unix name-mapping conifgured ?
4) Where do we see the permissions shown incorrectly ? on Windows(CIFS) or UNIX(NFS) client ?

I would also suggest we check NFS option "ntacl-display-permissive-perms" and see if it is enabled or disabled.
Below document explains about Setting the desired NT ACL permissions display level for NFS clients
https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-ug-rdg%2FGUID-4E8376E0-E316-4CD2-A976-A4EBCC86609E.html&lang=en

PaddyM

Hello Vijay,

We have found the issue to be in the AbInitio Software we were using . They had changed a default option to view the files with Owner permissions and not Everyone as before. They will be releasing a fix to this but no timescales yet.

The ACL permissions were showing in Windows (CIFS) but also under Unix (NFS).

So if anyone is running AbInitio v3.5.2.2 on W2016 and comes across the same issue then you can wait fo rthe fix or use v3.3.1.4 and just get AbInitio to confirm they will support you on that release for w2016 Data Gateways!

I will mark this issue as resolved now

Vijay_ramamurthy

Hi PaddyM,

Excellent. Thank you very much for the update. 

Public