Ask The Experts

Slow NFS Performance ubuntu

josephillips

Hi 

im trying to understand whats is going on on my infrastructure

i have a AFF200 with 960gb(10) and linked on tengigabit ethernet for the nfs lif

when im run a test i got this value and is very hard to pass over 230 300mbps over a tengigabit

1 (f=0): [f(1)][100.0%][r=142MiB/s,w=0KiB/s][r=36.4k,w=0 IOPS][eta 00m:00s]

i check the network throughput on the filler side and is not reaching 10gbit

Iperf3 between netapp and node show 9.5gbit

notes: using ubuntu 18.04

mount options:rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=10.10.10.253,mountvers=3,mountport=635,mountproto=udp,local_lock=none,addr=10.10.10.253 

the real symtom is some vms start getting high "Waiting for I/O"  and when i go to the node and trying to perform ls to the mountpoint the computer freeze arround 3 4 5 seconds to perform a list of 60 files

something that i do is create another lif with a different ip/port and remount to another mount point . when the issue happend on the normal mount point if i try to list to the second mount point works great

what i can check in this case?

thanks

1 REPLY 1

Elliott

It sounds like the only difference between the good and bad setups are the physical path the connection traverses. I would recommend looking at the ifstat counters on the two different ports. Packet loss can have a profound impact on TCP performance due to congestion control algorithms. A packet trace collected against the bad port would be allow you to rule in/out the network. 

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public