Community Related Discussions

Community improvements and suggestions

Tas

I know that many changes have been made to the Forums, but the latest are not very helpful. 

1. Single conversation threads - these are the threads that may contain 100 comments

2. There is no way to mark a response as a proven answer that I can see;  Is there any way to enable this?  (Perhaps in tags, by comment?)

8 REPLIES 8

LeoD

Hi Tas,

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble in the community.

Hopefully, I will be able to provide some assistance and I will definitely make a note of your comments for future community updates. 

I have a few questions that will help me provide a better answer...

1. Single conversation threads - these are the threads that may contain 100 comments Would it be possible for you to provide more detail on this issue? 

2. There is no way to mark a response as a proven answer that I can see;  Is there any way to enable this?  (Perhaps in tags, by comment?) Are you referring to marking a reply as an accepted solution/best answer? 

Thanks.

Tas

i.e.  Search for a thread about Harvest, Graphite, and Grafana.  There is one one thread consisting of maybe over a hundred messages.  I can COMMENT, but I cannot REPLY.  I also cannot mark a specific message or post as a solution.

LeoD

Hi Tas,

Thank you for the clarification. 

Is this the topic you are referring to? 

https://community.netapp.com/t5/OnCommand-Storage-Management-Software-Articles-and-Resources/How-to-install-Graphite-and-Grafana/ta-p/109456

If so, this is an Article and not a discussion topic.

Replying to individual posts and marking replies as solutions is a feature of discussion topics only. 

However, if you would like to reply to a specific user in the thread, you can always @mention the user in your comment. 

e.g. @Tas

Hope this answers your questions. Let me know if I can help with anything. 

Thanks! 

AlexDawson

Hi Leo,

On the issue of single comments seeming like threads - on the main page, each topic is shown only once, but if you click on "Show all" it shows each comment as an item in the list, instead of just showing threads..

LeoD

Hi Tas,

Yes, this is an article. 

There are two types of posts/threads in the community. Articles and Discussion Topics. 

With articles, features such as Accepting a Solution and Replying to a comment are inactive since this is meant to be more of a blog type post. 

The best way to reply to a specific user in an article would be to @mention them. 

Hope this helps. 

Tas

Yes, I understand.  However, it seems that more and more requests for help are placed under a single article.  What you end up with are message/comment trails some with tons of linear comments.  What is worse, is that NetApp article authors encourage this linearization.  It just makes it difficult to find answers, and seeing that others are following this kind of comment trail makes it less likely for a participant to enter a new message.

Just my two cents.

LeoD

Hi @Tas

I totally agree with you. 

The best place for Q&A and multi-level discussions would be in a discussion thread. However, I understand how articles can be used as discussion threads sometimes.  

I will keep this in mind for future updates to the community. 

Thank you for the feedback. 

Public