Data Backup and Recovery

Event ID 317: Failed to enumerate LUN (MSCS)

GRAEMEOGDEN

I am seeing this warning on both members of an SQL 2008 Cluster. Both are VMs running on ESXi4.0 on seperate hosts in an FC environment and SnapDrive 6.3P2. As far as I can see the LUNs are mapped fine on the hosts and are accesible. Everything looks fine on the filer too.

Just wondering what the messages are about and if they will cause any problems? How can I stop the warnings?

Thanks.

Failed to enumerate LUN.

Device path: '\\?\scsi#disk&ven_netapp&prod_lun#5&3626375c&0&000000#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}'

Storage path: '/vol/RDMvol_TMLIVESQLCLSTR_Quorum/RDM_TMLIVESQLCLSTR_Quorum'

SCSI address: (2,0,0,0)

Error code: 0xc0040494

Error description: The LUN may not have a File System created on it, or it may not be formatted with the NTFS file system. If it is a cluster system this situation can be caused by the LUN being offline, or not owned by this computer.

Storage system 'PEN-FAS02'

Path '/vol/RDMvol_TMLIVESQLCLSTR_Quorum/RDM_TMLIVESQLCLSTR_Quorum'

Serial Number 'P3h8c4c54WKs'

7 REPLIES 7

soumende

What is the version of SnapManager for SQL Server that you are using in the environment ?

Regards

Soumen De

Technical Marketing Engineer

GRAEMEOGDEN

SnapManager for SQL is version 5.1.0.699

Thanks

Graeme

venkat3

Hi Graeme,

> Looking at the error messages

Failed to enumerate LUN.

Device path: '\\?\scsi#disk&ven_netapp&prod_lun#5&3626375c&0&000000#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}'

Storage path: '/vol/RDMvol_TMLIVESQLCLSTR_Quorum/RDM_TMLIVESQLCLSTR_Quorum'

SCSI address: (2,0,0,0)

Error code: 0xc0040494

Error description: The LUN may not have a File System created on it, or it may not be formatted with the NTFS file system. If it is a cluster system this situation can be caused by the LUN being offline, or not owned by this computer.

Storage system 'PEN-FAS02'

Path '/vol/RDMvol_TMLIVESQLCLSTR_Quorum/RDM_TMLIVESQLCLSTR_Quorum'

Serial Number 'P3h8c4c54WKs'

1.Can you please check if transport protocol settings mention the ontap filer 'PEN-FAS02' with valid credentials.

2.If that is not present please add the storage system in 'transport protocol setting' (use RPC or http whichever applicable).

3.Try scanning the luns after this (Perform Refesh on 'Disk') and check the error messages in event viewer.

-SR

-

GRAEMEOGDEN

Hi venkat,

The filer is mentioned in Transport Protocol Settings with valid credentials.

The more I look at it the more it seems to be a non-issue. This is an 2008 failover cluster but the SQL database luns and the quorum lun are mapped to different hosts, which is giving the Snapdrive warning in the original post. I don't think it will cause any problems and the cluster is performing as expected.

Thanks

Graeme

venkat3

Oh. great ..glad that Snapdrive wasn't causing any issue.

-SR

-

si

Hi,

We had the same issue, when the LUNS are converted to RDM under ESX Server - to get around this issue we upgraded to Snapdrive 6.4.2 which has some functionality for RDM's

Simon

matte

The mentioned LUNs in the events match the LUNs that are in use by a Microsoft cluster partner node.
Bug 471127: SDW is not showing shared disk in non-owner node of 2008 mscs cluster - Fixed in 6.4.

Public