Data Backup and Recovery

Question about features of 3.5.0c

f_duranti

Hi, I've tried to access the developer community but it seems that I'm not able to get there so I'll try to ask for some more information on new features of 3.5.0c here

Global configuration Files

Does this mean it's possible to edit global configuration file? Are they supported completely from the gui (editing, scheduling, using them to check volumes and snapshot list of a backup, cloning from the gui?)

Unix services for agent and server

What's This?

Improved logging

What improvement here? Are now debug/log more configurable? How?

Improved backup workflows

What's new in backup workflow?

Archive log improvements

What improvment in Archive logs?

Oracle plug-in improvements

What's new in Oracle Plugin?

Vmware plug-in vSphere 5.0 support

Vmware plug-in HTTPS support

Vmware plug-in Linux support

Vmware plugin SM/SV/PM integration

Does this also support SMVI/OnCommand Host 1.1 or only vibe?

There's anything new regarding SnapManager for SQLServer/Exchange like integration with PM for snapmirror/snapvault?

Thanks and sorry for the high number of question but 3.5.0c seems really a nice release and it will be really nice to know what all the new stuff do

Francesco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ktenzer

Does also editing a config take in consideration the global config (for example for controllers and credential defined into it?

The configuration wizzard does not however everything else does. This is so ething we may be able to add before 3.5 netapp version. What you can do is simply remove the storage systems after creating them.

The GUI will load configs with no storage controller info but it will not display what is in global config. The controller info is simply blank.

Data mgmt all works GUI loads global config if things are missing

All 3.4.x fixes are in 3.5.0

3.5.0 and SC moving forward will suppor 1 previous scAgent version. So SC 3.5.0 will support SC 3.4.0 agent but not SC 3.3.0 agent. Of course new features in plugins or agent you only get by upgrading agent.

Regards,

Keith

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ktenzer

Currently only partners have access but we are working on adding customer access, this should be fixed soon...keep checking back!

global configs

You can do everything but edit them in GUI, you must create them by hand but GUI can use a global config in scheduler or manually running

Unix services

We now have a start script scServer for the server and improved one for scAgent

Improved logging

* We now can optionally log agent info on agent

* We have split verbose and debug into separate logs

* We have added trace so you can control debug verbosity

New backup workflow for Oracle

We can now backup data volume and logs volume at different time. This is benneficial since for oracle you typically want to backup archive logs only after log switch which happens after unquiesce. Before you could do this with two configs but not one.

Archive log improvements

We now can delete archive logs recursively so inside a directory structure

Oracle plug-in improvements

This is simple te improved backup workflow

SC uses VIBE our vmware plugin to integrate with vmware not SMVI. You can however run SMVI and even get it to create SC style snapshots so you could integrate the two, at least that is what I hear

SME and SMSQL plugin can integrae with snapvault/snapmirror but not PM since we require _recent naming and that doesnt work with PM

Regards,

Keith

f_duranti

Hi Keith, really a good release Many new and interesting features ... just some clarification/comment:

global configs

You can do everything but edit them in GUI, you must create them by hand but GUI can use a global config in scheduler or manually running

Does also editing a config take in consideration the global config (for example for controllers and credential defined into it?

SC uses VIBE our vmware plugin to integrate with vmware not SMVI. You can however run SMVI and even get it to create SC style snapshots so you could integrate the two, at least that is what I hear

SME and SMSQL plugin can integrae with snapvault/snapmirror but not PM since we require _recent naming and that doesnt work with PM

Good to know, I've tried with SMVI but it seems that it's not possible to integrate well it will always append a uniqueid to the backup name so it will not be recognized by SC/PM I hope it can be a nice "to add" feature to next versions of SMVI (and for SME/SMSQL too.... It would be really nice to be able to completely integrate SME/SMSQL/SMVI into Snap Creator backup scheduling).

Currently only partners have access but we are working on adding customer access, this should be fixed soon...keep checking back!

Good to know I would really like to be able to access the dev community

One last 2 things:

1) does the 3.4p1 fixes got into 3.5.0c release (mostly the fixes related to scheduler startup and job automatically starting when gui start)?

516935 -- If the GUI is restarted, backup jobs do not run until a user logs in.

518258 -- GUI Scheduler runs jobs immediately after starting that didn't successfuly run prior (due to scheduler being down).

2) Can the 3.5.0c version use 3.4 agents or they should be upgraded at the same time of the server?

Thanks

Francesco

ktenzer

The configuration wizzard does not however everything else does. This is so ething we may be able to add before 3.5 netapp version. What you can do is simply remove the storage systems after creating them.

The GUI will load configs with no storage controller info but it will not display what is in global config. The controller info is simply blank.

Data mgmt all works GUI loads global config if things are missing

All 3.4.x fixes are in 3.5.0

3.5.0 and SC moving forward will suppor 1 previous scAgent version. So SC 3.5.0 will support SC 3.4.0 agent but not SC 3.3.0 agent. Of course new features in plugins or agent you only get by upgrading agent.

Regards,

Keith

Public