Data Backup and Recovery

SQL Server DR with Snapcenter

markhodges

In the past, with SMSQL and Snapdrive, the recovery of SQL was pretty simple.  During failover testing we would shutdown prod SQL VM, take volumes offline, clone the snapmirror of the SQL ISCSI volumes, and power on clone of SQL.  We'd run the command line snapdrive commands to mount the clones on the host in the same mountpoints as before and reboot

Voila...SQL all recovered....

However, with Snapcenter, I know there are some commands for snapcenter agent on the SQL server, but its a terrible mess of commands that I haven't worked out yet.

The only thing I can think of is that to do this I would need to recover the clone of snapcenter, recover the clone of SQL server (with no disks) and then manually use snapcenter to delete and re-add the ISCIS volumes on DR to the VM....

Thats horribly inefficient when time is of the essence.

Is there a better way that I am just not thinking about?

3 REPLIES 3

mrahul

SQL Server DR feature support for SnapCenter is in future roadmap.

As of now you may leverage restore to alternate host feature If you want to bring up the DB to a new host.

This woud work even in cases where the primary SQL host is down ( gone bad or manually put down for hardware updates) or even the primary SVM is down.

You can select the secondary copy backup and do Restore selecting an alternate host. You can apply the log backups too, provided the secondary/mirror destination SVM have proper FCP/iSCSI connectivity to the selected target host.

If the DB files are copied to the target host manually (DB files recovered from tape etc...) You can use the Restore with existing files option from SC UI.

johncole

To do this For Server Recovery:

• Attach the disks one by one to a Windows PC either via internal ports or using an adaptor cable USB to SATA/IDE. This PC can be one of the clients, or a fresh installed Windows Home Server. Do not add this disk to the storage pool, before you have copied all data to the server share or external storage. The already configured storage pool devices must offer enough free space to handle the data from the disk besides old client backups (which will be lost in such a recovery scenario).
  • In Control Panel of that PC open Folder Options.
  • On the View tab select Show hidden files and folders.
  • Click OK.
  • In Windows Explorer look for the DATA volume on the former Windows Home Server disk (including the 😧 drive of the former primary disk), which will usually have gotten a drive letter in the system. After opening this volume in Explorer you should see the hidden folder DE. (Be aware, that in configurations with multiple disks in the server this folder may not exist on each disk or be empty.)
  • Within the folder DE you should find a subfolder shares.
  • This contains parts or all (or none) of the data in the former shared folders or duplicates of this data (if Folder Duplication was selected).
  • Copy this data either to the new server installation by accessing the server shares through the desktop shortcut Shared Folders on server or to another storage location. Do never target the file system of drives belonging to Windows Home Server directly (i.e. d:\shares)!
  • Repeat this for each DATA disk

johncole

When you create a website in any technology you prefer to use Sql database to use because it is simple and easy to use. So please get your full data backup. When you lost data accedently  you can get back it using restore your data.

Public