Data Backup and Recovery

SnapCenter - Fails to connect existing LUN/Disk

pedro_rocha

Hello,

Trying to use SnapCenter to manage LUNs on a few Windows Server 2012 R2. Using SC 4.3.1P2 and windows plugin only.

Created volume/luns manually through the CLI. Followed the wizard on connecting disk in the SC GUI. Wizard fails with:

pedro_rocha_0-1593123324277.png

Then, checking the logs:

First error is: 2020-06-25T18:12:05.7548987-03:00 Error SDW PID=[22752] TID=[17052] Error: Failed to get partition information from disk on node SERVERNAME

This occurs right after the disk is onlined by Snapcenter: 2020-06-25T18:12:05.6767784-03:00 Information SDW PID=[22752] TID=[17052] Microsoft DiskPart version 6.3.9600 Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation. On computer:SERVERNAME DISKPART> Disk 13 is now the selected disk. DISKPART> Disk attributes cleared successfully. DISKPART> DiskPart successfully onlined the selected disk. DISKPART> Leaving DiskPart

The last message is repeated several times until the job ends not being able to connect the LUN. Filled a case with NetApp.

LUN has never been connected or formatted by any OS.

Any clue?

Regards,

Pedro Rocha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pedro_rocha

Hello,

Support finally gave me an official and documented answer.

It is not possible to connect an unformatted disk with SC. This KB states this.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Pedro

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mrahul

Is create disk working as expected from SC UI?

pedro_rocha

Hello, sorry for my delay. Yes, I can create a new LUN via SC w/o issues. Opened a case with NetApp but support is a bit slow on debugging. Can you imagine what is happening?

Regards,

Pedro

pedro_rocha

Support told me they THINK it is because the LUN is not formatted. Indeed it is not. But where is it stated that I cannot connect a LUN that has not been previously formatted? Can anyone help me?

mrahul

If create disk is working without any issue, then I don't suspect any issues with host-side disk discovery and filesystem formatting. Ideally, disk connect operation should have worked fine as create operation is succeeding on the same setup. 

Is this disk that you are trying to connect previously created via SC and then disconnected? or Are you trying to connect a lun that is created from the ONTAP side ( not from SC) which is not mapped to the host using any igroup and you are trying to do that via SC? 

Please try the workflow which is Create disk from SC-> Disconnect disk from SC--> Connect disk from SC

pedro_rocha

Hello,

Support finally gave me an official and documented answer.

It is not possible to connect an unformatted disk with SC. This KB states this.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Pedro

mrahul

Yes, that is the design. Connect disk worflow doesnt have 'disk fomat/filesystem create' step internally. It needs the filesystem to be already existing on the disk so that once the disk is connected, SC right away sees the drive. 

Public