Data Backup and Recovery

SnapProtect 10 SP5 !?

jcbettinelli

Hello,

I've recently installed SnapProtect 10 SP4A to a new customer, and it has automatically upgraded to version 10 SP5.

I followed instructions from the document "SnapProtect v10 SP4 Open Systems Cookbook for Microsoft Windows and Linux File Systems " which tells:

1. Launch the CommCell Console and login with the password that you provided during installation.
  2. Disable automatic updates by right clicking on the CommServe All Tasks Add/Remove Software Download Software.
  3. Make sure Download updates is unchecked.

But I've discovered that, every time you go to that option, the "Download Updates" is checked.

In order to disable that, you need to go to "Administrative Schedules" and disable the jobs "System Created Download Software" and "System Created Installed Software".

So, anyway, now, my SnapProtect server (CommCell) and my VSA server (MediaAgent) are running 10 SP5.

Question:

- Do I have to worry about it?

- Do I need to downgrade?

- How does it happen that Netapp or CommVault has not modified the code to download the latest update from Netapp instead of CommVault?

Regards,

Jean-Christophe

3 REPLIES 3

jbahn

Sorry for the delayed answer:

Question:

- Do I have to worry about it?

Well of course, the official answer is:  try really hard to use the current shipping NetApp release because NetApp Support doesn't have the "next" release yet.

- Do I need to downgrade?

Ideally, yes. But really your call. If you have a support agreement; from the SP4A release notes, look at this link:  https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1393590/html/GUID-DC94BE5C-C27E-4F84-B2E9-3AC9B6E4B46D.html.  It explains the 3 workaround options:

Option 1: Change the software download FTP to an invalid path by using the CommServ system.

Option 2: Change the FTP site path to an invalid path by using the CommServe Console.

Option 3: Change the FTP site path to an invalid path by using the CommServe CLI.

If you don't, let me know at jbahn@netapp.com and I'll send you the rest of the info directly.

- How does it happen that Netapp or CommVault has not modified the code to download the latest update from Netapp instead of CommVault?

SnapProtect V10 introduced a bug whereby auto-update is enabled by default. This option causes SnapProtect to download the latest service packs from CV site directly regardless of it being released/not by NetApp. In addition, V10 also has a UI bug which does not allow user to turn off auto update. The "enabled by default" bug is expected to be fixed in v10 SP5A, which I have been told is a few weeks away.

-Jim

jcbettinelli

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for my late reply, I've been in a CommVault training in the meantime

Regarding the automatic updates, the easiest way to disable it, is to go to the admin schedules and disable the job. In order to do that:

- Right-click on the commserver server on the top of the CommCel Browser on the left panel

- Select View --> Schedules

- Right-Click on  "System Created Download Software" and select Disable

- Right-Click on "System Created Install Software" and select Disable

Regards,

Jean-Christophe

dangelo

To permanently disable it, you can also add to the \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file on the CommCell a line that contains:

127.0.0.1    ftp.commvault.com

It will prevent the CommCell from being able to resolve correctly the Commvault FTP server where the Simpana ISOs are stored.     If you leave the schedule enabled for Downloading updates, it will generate an error on the default weekly schedule and you already know from previous replies how to Disable it.

Public