Data Backup and Recovery

Snapcenter 3.0P1 MSSQL Backup ERROR No SQL resource is discovered on the host

dyoung

We're backing up a 3 node Windows 2012 sql cluster. The cluster is hardware based attached using FCP luns. Backups were working fine until the SQL instance flipped onto a new node. Now when the backup runs we get "Message:No SQL resource is discovered on the host. Check SQL resource(s) state on the host" I can confirm SQL is running on the host. It seems that Snapcenter can't figure out what host now has the instance. Anyone else run into this issue?

3 REPLIES 3

matte

Wich SC version are you running?

Is the FCI instance owned by a non-cluster owner?

i am asking because If the FCI instance is owned by a non-Cluster owner node, backups can fail with the error:

"No SQL resource is discovered on the host. Check SQL resource(s) state on the host."

If the FCI instance is moved to the Cluster owner node, the backup will complete. This also happen if the user under which the backup is running does not have permission on the cluster instance.T he log-in user or the group which the user is part of has  to have to be part of the local administrator group of the "Cluster owner node" for
backup to work. Typically, sysadmin user may not be part of local admin group.

I've seen this issue in SC 2.0 ans should be fixed in the next relases (starting from SC 2.0P1)

dyoung

Looks like the job was using the setup user ID(doesnt have permission to cluster) instead of the run as user which does to contact the cluster. Re ran the setup wizard logged in as the run as user and it now works. 

dyoung

Looks like the job was using the setup user ID(doesnt have permission to cluster) instead of the run as user which does to contact the cluster. Re ran the setup wizard logged in as the run as user and it now works. 

Public