Data Backup and Recovery

problems with auto discovery vSphere storage in layer2 networks

v_kiehn

Hi,

our esx serves are using a layer2 network for connecting the nfs shares. The snapcreator server doesn't have a network connect to this vlan. Starting a snap with snapcreator 5.3.0c the  auto discovering process failed.

using only the layer3 network for the vibe config (NTAP_USERS=netappfiler.domain/password) the auto discovery is able to collect the VirtualMachines

########## Application Auto Discovery ##########

[Wed Nov  2 14:36:58 2011] INFO: Checking if VIBE pre-requisites already run (function: discover) ....

[Wed Nov  2 14:36:58 2011] INFO: Executing VIBE configuration.

[Wed Nov  2 14:36:58 2011] INFO: Initializing connectivity to vCenter(s) and storage controller(s)/vserver(s) ...

[Wed Nov  2 14:36:58 2011] INFO: Updating NTAP_USERS storage controller/vserver netappfile.dom with IP address 10.1.2.3 ...

[Wed Nov  2 14:36:58 2011] INFO: Collecting list of VirtualMachine objects planned for snapshots ...

[Wed Nov  2 14:37:25 2011] INFO: Updating VirtualMachine objects planned for snapshots ...

[Wed Nov  2 14:37:25 2011] INFO: Saving VM named vmguest1 for backup.

[Wed Nov  2 14:37:25 2011] INFO: Saving VM named vmguest2 for backup.

[Wed Nov  2 14:37:25 2011] INFO: Saving VM named vmguest3 for backup.

[Wed Nov  2 14:37:25 2011] INFO: Saving VM named vmguest4 for backup.

[Wed Nov  2 14:37:25 2011] INFO: Collection of VirtualMachine objects successful.

[Wed Nov  2 14:37:26 2011] INFO: Collecting VM information on NFS Datastore vmnfs-volname.

[Wed Nov  2 14:37:26 2011] ERROR: [vmw-00004] 10.9.9.9 (layer2 network) not found in storage controller/vserver list!

[Wed Nov  2 14:37:26 2011] ERROR: [scf-00049] Auto Discovery for plugin vibe failed with exit code 1, Exiting!

adding a management interface entry for the layer2 ip to the config doesn't solve the problem. I got the same messages.

MANAGEMENT_INTERFACES=10.9.9.9:netapfiler.dom

so I add a second entry with the layer2 network to NTAP_USERS in the config

NTAP_USERS=netappfiler.dom:snapcreator/password;10.9.9.9:snapcreator/password

Now already the initializing fails

[Wed Nov  2 14:21:54 2011] INFO: Initializing connectivity to vCenter(s) and storage controller(s)/vserver(s) ...

[Wed Nov  2 14:21:54 2011] INFO: Updating NTAP_USERS storage controller/vserver netappfiler.dom with IP address 10.1.2.3 ...

[Wed Nov  2 14:21:54 2011] INFO: Updating NTAP_USERS storage controller/vserver 10.9.9.9 with IP address 10.9.9.9 ...

Is there any trick to run this job without connecting the smo server to the layer 2 network?

Kind regards

Volker Kiehn

8 REPLIES 8

ktenzer

Both the Snap Creator server and the agent in the case of the VMware plug-in must have access to the storage network otherwise things wont work.

You could move the scAgent to a host that can access the layer2 network, then discovery should work but then Snap Creator server would throw an error as it would need to take snapshot on storage system and not have access.

The scServer and scAgent should be installed on system that has access to the network, in this case the layer2 network.

I am letting our VMware expert know about this, he might have something to add but for now I would set things up on system that can access layer 2 network.

Regards,

Keith

v_kiehn

Hi Keith,

that is against our policy but I'll try.

Our Layer2-Network normally is reserved for the NetApp and our ESX servers. We don't want to connect any other instances to keep it closed. So it would be very good to check, if the management_interface configuration can be used also for the VIBE.

Please keep me informed

Regards,

Volker

ktenzer

MANGEMENT_INTERFACES in SC allows the scServer to communicate with a different IP for storage APIs. This would be an option however the VIBE plug-in must also do APIs, and to my knowledge it does not support MANAGEMENT_INTERFACES yet.

I sent this thread to a guy named Matt Robinson so he should chime in with more info on what might be possible so you dont need to connect scServer to layer2 switch.

Regards,

Keith

rmatt

Hi, Volker.  Can you please send the entire --verbose --debug set of logs?  I'd like to look at what interfaces it is picking up to see what options might exist.  We require access to send calls to the storage controller and the ESX host, although as long as we can get through any specific interface available we can perform the snapshots.  If we can see the interfaces you are detecting that would help.

My E-mail is rmatt AT netapp dot com.

Thanks!

--Matt

mmodi

Is this still an issue with SC 4.1 Vibe plug-in and MANGEMENT_INTERFACES ?

Is the following, the only workaround today?

• Both the Snap Creator server and the agent in the case of the VMware plug-in must have access to the storage network otherwise things wont work.

Thanks

Modi

ktenzer

Hi Modi,

SC VIBE plugin makes direct ZAPI calls and it does not take advantage of mgmt interfaces. We are planning on providing an integration with VSC soon which should provide a much more well rounded solution for our vmware customers. As such we have stoped adding new features to the VIBE plugin but will continue supporting it and fixing defects.

To answer your question directly, yes SC server and agent must have access to storage network today.

Regards,

Keith

mmodi

Thanks

Is the integration with vsc for 7 mode as well? If so, what rough time frame are we looking at ?

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S4 on the Telstra 4G network

ktenzer

Hi Modi,

Right now this is targeted for SC 4.2 release which should be around Fall 2014.

This is for cmode and 7mode as both are supported by SCF and VSC.

Keith

Public