ONTAP Discussions

Any kind of indication of Ontap 8.1 ETA?

dejanliuit

We have to plan this years yearly maintenance for this, normaly done during our low-period (summer break, vacation time) and I'm looking at going straight to Ontap 8.1 if it is released.

I wish to upgrade the aggregates to 64bit inplace as we only have about 25% free space left and I'm hoping that Ontap 8.1 would let us do that.

This would give us compression and this release more space instead of investing into more disk (for a while more or until next budget).

Next maintenance period is during christmas/newyears break when we have low pressure on the system, but by then we will probably be forced to invest into more disk before that.

Is there any kind of indication of when Ontap 8.1 is due? At least what quarter 2011 (if at all during this year)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kristof_versluys

Data ONTAP 8.1 shall be in RC1 released on 29th of September. The GA is planned for 15/01/2012.

As with regards to the 32 to 64-bit migration. This is indeed a feature which is implemented and shall be integrated.

Also, when you go above the 16Tb limit, an aggregate shall always and automatically be upgraded to 64-bit (if on 8.1 offcourse).

SnapLock Compliance is also included.

View solution in original post

42 REPLIES 42
Public