ONTAP Discussions

Q: About supportability of Microsoft Geographically Dispersed Cluster in our cabins

javierb

Hello everybody

we are trying to remove and replace two HP EVA cabins in a customer.

He has already implemented a Microsoft geographically dispersed cluster solution with 3 nodes (2 applicatins nodes + 1 quorum node).

I would like to know

- are our cabins in HA act/act configurations and replicationg with SnapMirror Synchronous supportings this configuration?

If so, all the info you can point me out to have a look and read is welcome

- is it MetroCluster our only solution for this scenario?  I say so because the physical storage has to be synchronously replicating among the sites

If so, all the info you can point me out to have a look and read is welcome

Where can i get more info (whatever kind) about Microsoft, MSCS + Geographically Dispersed Cluster?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

javierb

Hello again

can anybody tell me anything about my question or somewhere to get info about Microsoft Cluster in a geographically Dispersed Cluster onto our FAS?

Thanks

radek_kubka

I *think* there is no support / integration of MSCS in conjunction with SnapMirror (I've seen one doc in the Tech Library describing Veritas Cluster Serices (VCS) integration with SnapMirror though).

So probably your options are to either forget about SnapMirror & treat filers just as generic storage, or to use MetroCluster as you've already figured out - in this case Microsoft nodes will see just one lump of storage, so they'll think it's just an SCC (Single Copy Cluster) setup.

There is a very interesting case study from French guys about their implementation of MetroCluster with transparent failover. Search in Field Portal for "insight 2008", go to the results in the left hand pane & select "Recordings". The link will take you to netapp.vportal.net (you can't access it directly though) & within the results search for "metrocluster automated".

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Radek

Public