FAS and V-Series Storage Systems Discussions

Headswap on a V-Series 3rd part disk Fabric Metrocluster

UVYFredNyst

What is the right step to perform a NDU in the following case?

We are currently running a Fabric Metro cluster on a V3140-R5 8.0.1 with a 3rd part Eternus disks.

And I want to change the heads to a V3240-R5 that was chiped with version 8.0.2RC1.

The document "V-series Controller Replacement or Upgrade Procedur" that I found in the forum, doesn't disucc that matter.

All help are appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

isaacs

I do not believe that we ever supported a non-disruptive upgrade of a controller to a different model.  NDU refers to software updates.

Thanks!

Dan Isaacs

Netapp

isaacs@netapp.com

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

aborzenkov

Are you asking about Data ONTAP update from 8.0.1 to 8.0.2? Well, it is just a standard update, use normal Data ONTAP documentation.

Or are you asking how to perform head swap non-disruptively?

UVYFredNyst

I would like to do a non-disruptive head swap. The old v3140 is running Ontap 8.01 7 mode and the new v3240 is deliverd with Ontap 8.02rc1 on the flashcard. Does that have a inpact or should I do a Ontap upgrade on v3140 before I do a head swap?

isaacs

I do not believe that we ever supported a non-disruptive upgrade of a controller to a different model.  NDU refers to software updates.

Thanks!

Dan Isaacs

Netapp

isaacs@netapp.com

View solution in original post

aborzenkov

There is no supported way to do non-disruptive head swap I am aware of.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public