General Discussion

ElementOS future

imadam

Hi,

since Netapp is killing their HCI offering (I predicted this since pricing was insane) what is future for ElementOS now?

imadam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Brad_Katz

Hi Imadam,

Element OS is the foundation of our SolidFire all-flash storage solution as well as the storage component for NetApp HCI.  The EOA announcement for NetApp HCI covers compute nodes and compute specific management tools - it does not apply to Element OS.  NetApp is committed to ongoing investment and development of Element as a scale-out, software-defined, block storage platform.

Thanks,
Brad Katz

Sr. Manager, NetApp Product Mgmt

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

elementx

Element-based products have been available independently of NetApp HCI (as stand-alone storage clusters) as well as on selected other h/w platforms. No changes.

imadam

What about ElementOS only on 3rd party servers?

Brad_Katz

I can also share that as part of our ongoing commitment to Element, we will continue to offer customers the choice of deploying Element on qualified 3rd party server platforms with SolidFire eSDS or on NetApp appliances.

Brad Katz

imadam

I hope you will create something like HPE 3-pack for Storevirtual once had, with reasonable pricing.

Brad_Katz

Hi Imadam,

Element OS is the foundation of our SolidFire all-flash storage solution as well as the storage component for NetApp HCI.  The EOA announcement for NetApp HCI covers compute nodes and compute specific management tools - it does not apply to Element OS.  NetApp is committed to ongoing investment and development of Element as a scale-out, software-defined, block storage platform.

Thanks,
Brad Katz

imadam

Thank  you for sharing. I hope pricing won't be like you had for HCI.  When Netapp came out with HCI and when we received first quote, we made bet "how long it will be before Netapp kill HCI offering" 😎

Public