Legacy Product Discussions

Disks Populated Out of Order

i3_nheusel

We recently received our first StoreVault (er S-series now, I guess) S550 for a branch office. We ordered the 4.5TB bundle with 6 x 750GB disks. However, I find it odd the way the disks were populated from the factory:

ID: 1, 2, 5, 8, 10, 11

Is there a reason for this? If not, I would like to move the disks so they are in order (ID 0 - 5) now before deployment. Can I do this without affecting the RAID group?

Thanks,

Nick

3 REPLIES 3

meyer

Nick-

Great question. I'll look into why we shipped it this way with our operations folks, but you needn't worry about neatening up. The drives can be removed and replaced in any order and the aggregate (array in NetApp terms) will be just fine.

Same holds true with inserting new drives - it makes no difference where they go physically.

Enjoy your new system and let us know what you think!

Drew

meyer

Nick-

Our ops guys taught me that we load the drive in a specific pattern to make sure the shipping mass is distributed evenly. We load from the bottom up and the outside in to keep things balanced. I'm impressed...

Drew

i3_nheusel

Drew,

OK. That makes sense.

I'm still moving the disks in order though (and I'm shipping this to another site after initial configuration).

Thanks for the prompt responses!

Regards,

Nick

Public