Legacy Product Discussions

FAS 270, no disks found after addition

beetlegus

I have a FAS270 that I am tyring to add new drives to.  Originally there were 7 disks in slots 0-6 that worked fine.  I attempted to add 7 new disks to the remaining 7 slots and once I halted the filer, placed the new disks in the filer then ran boot_ontap.  After it began booting up a message appeared stating that there were no disks found and no volumes found.  I could not figure out why it was doing this and still cannot, but I have narrowed the problem down to slot 12 being the culprit.  I am wondering if there is a switch or jumper or something that needs to be turned on in order to use this slot.  I wouldn't think so seeing as how the rest of the disks showed up fine.  It is definetly a problem with the slot and not a bad disk.  Has anyone had this type of problem before and if so what did you do to correct it?  I would appreciate any and all responses.  Thank you in advance.

PS.  I am attaching a view of the console page showing no disks attached.  There was also a message stating that 3 drives firmware revision was not up to date.

10 REPLIES 10

mcope

Kudos for sending your console log.  If everyone did that, troubleshooting would be much easier.

With DS14 shelves (which the FAS270 is), you don't have to make any hardware changes for the slots/bays to work.  You only need drives in bays 0 and 1 to 'turn on' the shelf.  What size and type drives are you adding and what size and type are the old ones?  You pretty much want similar drive sizes and speeds (10K RPM FC versus 15K RPM FC)

During boot up, press Ctrl+C when prompted for the Special Options Menu.  When the menu comes up, select 5 for Maintenance Mode.  Run these commands:

1.  *> fcadmin device_shelf    - verify all shelves are visible to the system.  Any "bad" or missing drives will show up as XXX in the bay diagram.

2. *> disk show -a  -  show all disks visible to the system that have ownership assigned to them

3. *> disk show -n   - shows any unowned disks

4.  If any disks are unowned, type: disk assign all

5. *> aggr status    - you should now see a root aggregate.  If the new drives are from another system and were not converted into spare drives, then you may also see a foreign, degraded aggregate.  You will need to destroy the aggregate(s)

beetlegus

Thank you Michael, the original drives are 10K RPM and 300GB, the new drives are 15K RPM and 300GB.  I will go run those commands you sent to me and post back with another console capture.

beetlegus

Michael,

I ran fcadmin device_map because the other command was not valid.  When the drive is in slot 12 the fcadmin command says it cannot complete operation on channel 0b and 0c because the links are down.  With the drive out of slot 12 fcadmin shows XXX for that slot.  Also when the drive is inserted it brings down fiber channel 0b, as soon as I pull it out fiber channel b comes back up.  Here is a short summary of the command line.

fcadmin device_map

Cannot complete operation on channel 0b; link is DOWN

Cannot complete operation on channel 0c; link is DOWN

*> fcadmin device_mapMon Aug 15 15:49:23 GMT [fci.adapter.online:info]: Fibre Ch

annel adapter 0b is now online.

fcadmin device_map

Loop Map for channel 0b:

Translated Map: Port Count 14

7  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  29

Shelf mapping:

Shelf 1:  29 XXX  27  26  25  24  23  22  21  20  19  18  17  16

*> Mon Aug 15 15:50:54 GMT [shelf.config.single:info]: System is using single pa

th attached storage only.

fcadmin device_map

Loop Map for channel 0b:

Translated Map: Port Count 14

7  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  29

Shelf mapping:

Shelf 1:  29 XXX  27  26  25  24  23  22  21  20  19  18  17  16

*> fcadmin device_mapMon Aug 15 15:51:24 GMT [ses.channel.rescanInitiated:info]:

Initiating rescan on channel 0b.

Loop Map for channel 0b: failed

*> fcadmin device_map

*> fcadmin device_map

*>

Thank you again.

aborzenkov

So you have bad slot. It is rare, but it does happen. This is probably the third time I met problem with enclosure itself across all storage system types I worked with.

If system is under support, you should open case and let it be replaced.

beetlegus

It is looking like this is a problem with the motherboard.  I took a motherboard from a FAS250 and put it in the chassis and all 14 disks showed up.

mcope

Hmmm.  I would have thought bad drive or bad drive bay on the shelf.  These types of failures are so rare that it's difficult to diagnose them.  Glad to hear you resolved the problem.

beetlegus

Unfortunately there is no support contract on it.  It has expired and it looks like the motherboards are not cheap.  Roughly $9000 to $15000 depending on refurbished or new.  Thanks for the replies gents.

aborzenkov

It is not motherboard (i.e. filer itself) but rather shelf. May be you have some other spare one; DS14mkII would do just fine.

andrc

That sounds really expensive, have you tried Brokerbin or even Ebay?

beetlegus

The issue has been resolved.  It was the motherboard.  I ordered a motherboard from a vendor for $850 and once replaced the filer had no more issues with slot 12.  Everything is working fine now. 

Public