Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Can't seem to get the New-NcVirtualDisk cmdlet working with my cDOT 8.2 cluster

corey

Environment:

• I have a six node cDOT 8.2P3 cluster
  • I have a Vserver (SVM) running CIFS
  • This SVM has six LIFs and all of them are configured for both data and management access
  • There is a FlexVol in this SVM shared out with an SMB3 CA CIFS share
  • I have a two-node Hyper-V 2012 cluster that can successfully connect to this CIFS share to store and run VMs on it
  • I have the Data ONTAP PowerShell Toolkit v3.0.0.92 installed on the Hyper-V nodes

I want to create a new VHDX file on this CIFS share by using the "New-NcVirtualDisk" cmdlet from one of the Hyper-V nodes, but I . 

Here's what I've tried doing:

# Connect directly to the Vserver (SVM)

PS C:\> $conn = Connect-NcController -Name melfvsn1 -Credential vsadmin

# Print out the $conn variable to check

PS C:\> $conn

Name                 Address           Vserver              Version

----                 -------           -------              -------

melfvsn1             xx.xxx.xxx.xxx    MELFVSN1             NetApp Release 8.2P3 Cluster-Mode: Thu Sep 12 01:13:07 PDT 2013

# Now create a new VHDX file on a CIFS share that is hosted by this Vserver (SVM)

PS C:\> New-NcVirtualDisk -FullName \\melfvsn1\hv1\newdisk.vhdx -Size 200g -Vhdx -Controller $conn

I get this error:

New-NcVirtualDisk : Could not find file \\melfvsn1\hv1\newdisk.vhdx on NetApp.

At line:1 char:1

+ New-NcVirtualDisk -FullName \\melfvsn1\hv1\newdisk.vhdx -Size 200g -Vhdx -Contro ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [New-NaVirtualDisk], ArgumentException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.ArgumentException,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.HyperV.NewNaVirtualDisk

What am I doing wrong?

I've tried making a connection to the Cluster rather than the Vserver, but that didn't help.  I tried using just IP addresses but that didn't work...

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Corey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

vinith

Hello Corey,

Could you please try the same by creating a lif exclusively specifying the data role and protocol as CIFS, it should work for you.

As you can see below when i try specifying the path with the lif which serves both data and management it leads to the same error and the vhd does not get created.

But when i try the same with the exclusive data Lif  it creates the vhd.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

vinith

Hello Corey,

Could you please try the same by creating a lif exclusively specifying the data role and protocol as CIFS, it should work for you.

As you can see below when i try specifying the path with the lif which serves both data and management it leads to the same error and the vhd does not get created.

But when i try the same with the exclusive data Lif  it creates the vhd.

corey

Thanks Vinith - your suggestion worked!

Actually to be clear, I had to make sure that I established a connection (Connect-NcController) to a LIF that does allow management access.  Then I ran the New-NcVirtualDisk to a UNC path containing the IP Address of a Data-only LIF.  Then it worked.

Cheers,

Corey

Public