Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Can't seem to get the New-NcVirtualDisk cmdlet working with my cDOT 8.2 cluster

corey

Environment:

• I have a six node cDOT 8.2P3 cluster
  • I have a Vserver (SVM) running CIFS
  • This SVM has six LIFs and all of them are configured for both data and management access
  • There is a FlexVol in this SVM shared out with an SMB3 CA CIFS share
  • I have a two-node Hyper-V 2012 cluster that can successfully connect to this CIFS share to store and run VMs on it
  • I have the Data ONTAP PowerShell Toolkit v3.0.0.92 installed on the Hyper-V nodes

I want to create a new VHDX file on this CIFS share by using the "New-NcVirtualDisk" cmdlet from one of the Hyper-V nodes, but I . 

Here's what I've tried doing:

# Connect directly to the Vserver (SVM)

PS C:\> $conn = Connect-NcController -Name melfvsn1 -Credential vsadmin

# Print out the $conn variable to check

PS C:\> $conn

Name                 Address           Vserver              Version

----                 -------           -------              -------

melfvsn1             xx.xxx.xxx.xxx    MELFVSN1             NetApp Release 8.2P3 Cluster-Mode: Thu Sep 12 01:13:07 PDT 2013

# Now create a new VHDX file on a CIFS share that is hosted by this Vserver (SVM)

PS C:\> New-NcVirtualDisk -FullName \\melfvsn1\hv1\newdisk.vhdx -Size 200g -Vhdx -Controller $conn

I get this error:

New-NcVirtualDisk : Could not find file \\melfvsn1\hv1\newdisk.vhdx on NetApp.

At line:1 char:1

+ New-NcVirtualDisk -FullName \\melfvsn1\hv1\newdisk.vhdx -Size 200g -Vhdx -Contro ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [New-NaVirtualDisk], ArgumentException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.ArgumentException,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.HyperV.NewNaVirtualDisk

What am I doing wrong?

I've tried making a connection to the Cluster rather than the Vserver, but that didn't help.  I tried using just IP addresses but that didn't work...

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Corey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

vinith

Hello Corey,

Could you please try the same by creating a lif exclusively specifying the data role and protocol as CIFS, it should work for you.

As you can see below when i try specifying the path with the lif which serves both data and management it leads to the same error and the vhd does not get created.

But when i try the same with the exclusive data Lif  it creates the vhd.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

vinith

Hello Corey,

Could you please try the same by creating a lif exclusively specifying the data role and protocol as CIFS, it should work for you.

As you can see below when i try specifying the path with the lif which serves both data and management it leads to the same error and the vhd does not get created.

But when i try the same with the exclusive data Lif  it creates the vhd.

View solution in original post

corey

Thanks Vinith - your suggestion worked!

Actually to be clear, I had to make sure that I established a connection (Connect-NcController) to a LIF that does allow management access.  Then I ran the New-NcVirtualDisk to a UNC path containing the IP Address of a Data-only LIF.  Then it worked.

Cheers,

Corey

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public