Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Cifs setup with powershell

drwoodberry

I have a filer I have just zeroed. I have added all my licenses back, and now I am trying to setup CIFS so that I can reinstall DataONTAP since Java is missing once you zero the filer. I am having two issues. The first issue, is if I try to run the set-nacifs commandlet. I can input the name, authype and securitytype, but as soon as I try to input the next value I get an error: "Unable to continue with cifs setup, as the /etc/passwd and/or /etc/group files are missing and none of the alternative authentication methods are enabled."

From my understanding, i thought this was suppose to work as if running cifs setup from the command prompt. If I do run cifs setup from the command prompt, I can then use the powershell commandlet. Is the /etc/passwd file being created when running cifs setups?

The other issue I am having is trying to pass the exsisting filer name as the value for the -cifsserver parameter. I can get that value by assining a parameter the value of get-nasysteminfo, and then getting the value of that new parameter.systemname. How can I pass this to the -cifsserver parameter as the value?

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1

cknight

For the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files, you can use the Toolkit cmdlets: New-NaCifsGroupFile and New-NaCifsPasswordFile.

For the server name, you can set the name in a variable and use that in the Set-NaCifs invocation:

PS C:\> $name = (Get-NaSystemInfo).SystemName
PS C:\> Set-NaCifs -CifsServer $name ...

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public