Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Cmdlets - SSP 2.0

richardline

Hello,

Running the following scenario at the moment;

• Server Core 2008 R2 w/ Hyper-V
  • System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 SP1
  • System Center SSP 2.0 SP1 (installed on SCVMM server)
  • System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2 Cu4
  • NetApp filer - not sure of exact version because the storage guy has just left - but he reviewed requirements and said it was fine

Standard SSP 2.0 provisioning is working fine using the default scripts and templates via SCVMM.

On the SCVMM/SSP server I have the OnCommand Cmdlets installed and added to the host Powershell profile. I have used the NetApp scripts provided and added them to the customised actions in SSP. The SCVMM server has a library share with a generalised VHD and template. All LUNs have been created on the same volume, including the library share that hosts the VHD. For info - the library share is a pass through disk.

When creating a VM in SSP specifying the NetApp ONTapCreateVM.txt and ONTapCreateVMLocked.txt scripts I get the following error;

Operation failed. Exiting progress message processing. Status TemplateCloneEngine::Clone: ValidateVHDDiskPaths failed reason Validate VHD path found that following VHD paths are not on NetApp LUN L:\TemplateVHDs\disk1.vhd

This runs for approx 5 seconds before being generated.

I have attached the WebService.log file.

Appreciate I may not have covered the environment in much detail - but feel free to ask and I'll give more information?

Kind Regards

28 REPLIES 28

PETECLEWLOW

It apears the issue may be the filer like you said we have run PS tools against another filer and they did not come back with the errors we experanced. So now we are trying to get some storage allocated on the working filer to try the scripts again.

We will keep you posted on the progress

PETECLEWLOW

We have new storage on another filer which runs the DAT PS tools fine. We are still having issues with thin/rapid provisioning. I have run new-clone manually and the output is as follows. the error is the same if i run new-storage, however clone file is working.

Any more thoughts on this would be appreciated.

PS C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Windows PowerShell> new-clone -Server scchvcl01 -VM

Server sccvmm01 -Template 'Standard Test EFL2' -BaseVMName SCCVMTEST567 -MountPoint 'c:\ClusterStorage\primary_csv_efl2

-Verbose

VERBOSE: Starting New-Clone

VERBOSE: Processing New-Clone Inputs ...

VERBOSE: Proceeding with New-Clone. The user confirmed the Input parameters.

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:Starting Clone operation

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:Retrieving Template details from SCVMM server...

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:Querying template information from the SCVMM host

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:Template information query completed

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:Querying VHD information from the SCVMM host

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:VHD information query completed

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:Retrieving Template details from SCVMM server done

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:Validating VHD type...

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:Validating VHD type done

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:Retrieving VHD disk paths...

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:Retrieving VHD disk paths done

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:Validating storage system model...

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:Validating storage system model done

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:Validating storage system ontap version...

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:Validating storage system ontap version done

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:Validating storage system LUN OSType...

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:Validating storage system Lun OSType done

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:Validating existence of flex clone license...

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:Validating existence of flex clone license done

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:Quering the existing VM names for the target host SCCHVCL01N1

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:VM query completed for target host SCCHVCL01N1

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:Checking the size of destination lun(s)

VERBOSE: SCCVMM01:Creating new lun 'scceastfl2:/vol/ContentManagementEast_Vol/scchvcl01_primary_library_clone_1' of

size '81497005619'

VERBOSE: Clone operation failed to complete. Error The pipeline has been stopped.

New-Clone : Operation failed. Exiting progress message processing. Status An error occured while processing the Create

Storage.

The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found

At line:1 char:10

+ new-clone <<<<  -Server scchvcl01 -VMMServer sccvmm01 -Template 'Standard Test EFL2' -BaseVMName SCCVMTEST567 -MountP

oint 'c:\ClusterStorage\primary_csv_efl2' -Verbose

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (NetApp.SystemCenter.ScCloneCmdlet:ScCloneCmdlet) [New-Clone], Exceptio

n

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NetApp.SystemCenter.ScCloneCmdlet

watan

I'm not sure about this error but will see if we can get somebody to chime in here.

watan

Got a response from the dev team and can you please confirm?

Is this a library share on a passthru lun? Its something that hasn(t been tested and is currently not supported.  Can you try using a library share on a different location that is not a passthru?

PETECLEWLOW

The library share is connected directly to the VMM server using iSCSI

watan

Can you please provide the error logs from Event logs "appwatch"?  There are also some known issues with the cmdlets and will need to pass this on to our dev team for further review.

Thanks,

Allan

PETECLEWLOW

Theres no event log for appwatch. Do you mean the OnCommand event log which i have attached?

watan

Opps, sorry still got AppWatch in my mind

Yes, the oncommand logs and I'll take a look and forward to dev to see what we can find.  Thanks again for your participation.

Public