Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Convert to VHD fails

gabyh_citrix

Hi,

I am trying to convert a LUN into vhd and get the following error:

PS C:\Users\administrator.CITRUS> ConvertTo-NaVhd -DestinationVhd /vol/dest/vhd/dlvm.vhd -SourceLun /vol/dest/vhd/lun1

ConvertTo-NaVhd : Converting LUN to VHD in a CIFS share is not supported.

At line:1 char:1

+ ConvertTo-NaVhd -DestinationVhd /vol/dest/vhd/dlvm.vhd -SourceLun /vol/dest/vhd/ ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [ConvertTo-NaVhd], ArgumentException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ArgumentException,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.HyperV.ConvertToNaVhd

The volumes are not shared by cifs and security style is unix.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Gaby

1 REPLY 1

MIKHAILFE

I was also researching this functionality, though I don't currently have access to a gear to play with and test. I think that with this error message the toolkit is trying to say that the destination VHD should be a file on a mounted LUN rather than a native path. In the examples of the command that I've seen this was how the used it (i.e, they used '-DestinationVhd e:\ttt.vhd when used with '-SourceLun'')

If this is the case, maybe a two-stage conversion would work - have an extra LUN for this specific reason, convert to a VHD within the LUN, and then convert from the LUN to a file in the volume.

Regards,

Mikhail

Public