Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Convert to VHD fails

gabyh_citrix

Hi,

I am trying to convert a LUN into vhd and get the following error:

PS C:\Users\administrator.CITRUS> ConvertTo-NaVhd -DestinationVhd /vol/dest/vhd/dlvm.vhd -SourceLun /vol/dest/vhd/lun1

ConvertTo-NaVhd : Converting LUN to VHD in a CIFS share is not supported.

At line:1 char:1

+ ConvertTo-NaVhd -DestinationVhd /vol/dest/vhd/dlvm.vhd -SourceLun /vol/dest/vhd/ ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [ConvertTo-NaVhd], ArgumentException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ArgumentException,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.HyperV.ConvertToNaVhd

The volumes are not shared by cifs and security style is unix.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Gaby

1 REPLY 1

MIKHAILFE

I was also researching this functionality, though I don't currently have access to a gear to play with and test. I think that with this error message the toolkit is trying to say that the destination VHD should be a file on a mounted LUN rather than a native path. In the examples of the command that I've seen this was how the used it (i.e, they used '-DestinationVhd e:\ttt.vhd when used with '-SourceLun'')

If this is the case, maybe a two-stage conversion would work - have an extra LUN for this specific reason, convert to a VHD within the LUN, and then convert from the LUN to a file in the volume.

Regards,

Mikhail

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public