Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Creating SVMDR snapmirror relationship with PowerShell

Andrew7193

I am trying to create a script that will create a snapmirror relationship for an SVMDR environment I cannot seem to get the New-NcSnapmirror command to cooperate. 

This version keeps asking for the volumes.

New-NcSnapmirror -DestinationVserver svm_nam-pdtst01 -Controller NA1-FAS01 -SourceVserver svm_nam-pdtst01_rep -SourceCluster NA2-FAS01 -Type XDP -schedule 5min -Policy $pol -PreserveIdentity

This version just bombs no matter how I configure it. 

New-NcSnapmirror -Destination svm_nam-pdtst01: -Controller NA1-FAS01 -SourceVserver svm_nam-pdtst01_rep -SourceCluster NA2-FAS01 -Type XDP -schedule 5min -Policy $pol -PreserveIdentity
New-NcSnapmirror : Parameter set cannot be resolved using the specified named parameters.
At line:1 char:1
+ New-NcSnapmirror -Destination svm_nam-pdtst01: -Controller NA1-FAS01 ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [New-NcSnapmirror], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : AmbiguousParameterSet,DataONTAP.C.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Snapmirror.NewNcSnapmirror

As always any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Andrew7193

OK I figured it out. When I got the error using -Source and -Destination what the error was saying was "Who do I action this on" I had forgotten the controller parameter. So this works:

New-NcSnapmirror -Controller $n1fas -Source svm_nam-pdtst01_rep: -Destination svm_nam-pdtst01: -type dp -Schedule 5min -Policy svm_nam-pdtst01_rep_policy -PreserveIdentity

Recap:

To script a snapmirror relationship using SVMDR you need to use the -Source and -Destination parameters and end the VSM names with a colon ":". 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

hmoubara

Hello,

When running the command did you include the ":" after the SVM name as listed below based on your commnad; i can see based on the example you tried that by adding it on the destination side only:

New-NcSnapmirror -Destination svm_nam-pdtst01: -Controller NA1-FAS01 -SourceVserver svm_nam-pdtst01_rep:                           -SourceCluster NA2-FAS01 -Type XDP -schedule 5min -Policy $pol -PreserveIdentity

Thanks

Thanks

Andrew7193

I am sorry about the delay. I thought I had added the ":" after the source SVM name but I tried it just now and I get the same error. It does not like the ":" and if you leave it off it asks for the volumes. The -SourceVolume parameter does not take wildcards either. 

Andrew7193

Another interesting thing. When you look at Get-Help for the command for the -source parameter it says:

-Source <String>
Specifies the source endpoint of the SnapMirror relationship in the format: [cluster:]//vserver/volume. This format may change in the future. When specifying a source endpoint, you must use either the source location, or the source cluster, source vserver, and source volume.

If I look an an existing snapmirror SVMDR configuration I see this value:

SourceLocation                DestinationLocation              Status                               MirrorState
--------------                              -------------------                        ------                                    -----------
svm_nam-pdtst01:           svm_nam-pdtst01_rep:        idle                                  snapmirrored

I then tried the command using -Source and -Destination but I still get the same error. Now I am trying to track down how to refer to the source location and if it is even the same in this command as the value return in the Get-Snapmirror command. 

Andrew7193

OK I figured it out. When I got the error using -Source and -Destination what the error was saying was "Who do I action this on" I had forgotten the controller parameter. So this works:

New-NcSnapmirror -Controller $n1fas -Source svm_nam-pdtst01_rep: -Destination svm_nam-pdtst01: -type dp -Schedule 5min -Policy svm_nam-pdtst01_rep_policy -PreserveIdentity

Recap:

To script a snapmirror relationship using SVMDR you need to use the -Source and -Destination parameters and end the VSM names with a colon ":". 

Public