Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Data ONTAP PowerShell Toolkit Documentation

dlmaldonado

Is there any way to get the Data Ontap Powershell Toolkit html docs (''Show-NaHelp") in a single pdf doc?

I'd like to be able to print out and reference as a pdf book and as yet, I don't see that anywhere.

If it exists as a download, can someone point the link out to me?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

beam

I happen to run into a possible workaround through sheer luck.  It turns out you can pipe the output of Get-NaHelp to Get-Help, which will give you help information for every cmdlet included in the toolkit.  You can then pipe this into Out-File to create a text file of all the help information (and with the -full switch, you get all the examples too!):

PS> Get-NaHelp | Get-Help -full | Out-File "DataONTAP Powershell Toolkit Online Help.txt"

This will create a ~3.5MB text file of all the help information.

Hope that helps!

-Steven

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

cknight

Not at present.  The online help docs are autogenerated during the Toolkit build.  I've captured this request for consideration in a future release.

marco_shaw

I saw this on Twitter...  I don't know if I agree that this can't be done presently.  It might need a bit of scripting magic though.

Give me a few days (not that it will take that long, I just might not feel like trying it right now).

marco_shaw

Now, I can likely create a single document with all of the 445-ish cmdlets in it.  Is that all you're looking for?

dlmaldonado

Yes. That would be perfect. I have an e-reader I keep all my technical documentation. Over 700 pdfs at last count. And I'd like to be able to carry this with me in pdf form and read it like a book.

FrostByte

Did you ever manage to get the PDF created with all of the cmdlets? I wouldn't mind having a copy for refrence and to read through.

cknight

Still on the wish list.  Just a matter of priorities and resources!

beam

I happen to run into a possible workaround through sheer luck.  It turns out you can pipe the output of Get-NaHelp to Get-Help, which will give you help information for every cmdlet included in the toolkit.  You can then pipe this into Out-File to create a text file of all the help information (and with the -full switch, you get all the examples too!):

PS> Get-NaHelp | Get-Help -full | Out-File "DataONTAP Powershell Toolkit Online Help.txt"

This will create a ~3.5MB text file of all the help information.

Hope that helps!

-Steven

FrostByte

That's awsome!  Thanks

Public