Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Error creating new vserver with subtype dp-destination

MadSANMan

When I try and create a vserver using the New-NcVserver command with subtype dp-destination, it prompts me for the root volume information as shown in the first snippet of text below. But then it tells me I can't supply anything other then the vserver name, comment and ipspace. If I supply the root volume information with the command, I get the same error. If I leave the prompts to the root volume information blank as shown in the second snippet, it comes back with a different error. The command appears schizophrenic. Any ideas what's going on?

PS> New-NcVserver -Name dr_01234fs01 -Subtype dp-destination
cmdlet New-NcVserver at command pipeline position 1
Supply values for the following parameters:
(Type !? for Help.)
RootVolume: dr_01234fs01_root
RootVolumeAggregate: aggr1_dd_netapp02_02
RootVolumeSecurityStyle: NTFS
New-NcVserver : Cannot specify options other than Vserver name, comment and ipspace for a Vserver that is being configured as the destination for Vserver DR.
At line:1 char:1
+ New-NcVserver -Name dr_01234fs01 -Subtype dp-destination
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (netapp02.vcpi.com:NcController) [New-NcVserver], NaUnknownErrnoException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ApiException,DataONTAP.C.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Vserver.NewNcVserver

PS> New-NcVserver -Name dr_01234fs01 -Subtype dp-destination
cmdlet New-NcVserver at command pipeline position 1
Supply values for the following parameters:
(Type !? for Help.)
RootVolume:
RootVolumeAggregate:
RootVolumeSecurityStyle:
New-NcVserver : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'RootVolume' because it is an empty string.
At line:1 char:1
+ New-NcVserver -Name dr_01234fs01 -Subtype dp-destination
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: ( [New-NcVserver], ParameterBindingValidationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorEmptyStringNotAllowed,DataONTAP.C.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Vserver.NewNcVserver

3 REPLIES 3

asulliva

Hello @MadSANMan,

This appears to be a bug in the ONTAP PowerShell module.  The API docs state that root volume is required for all sub-types except dp-destination, so while PSTK has it as a required parameter, it shouldn't be for this sub-type.

I'll file a bug, thanks for finding this!  I'm happy to pay you with stickers if you're willing to PM me your address : )

Andrew

EDIT: for reference, this is bug id 1063918.

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

Justin_Cooksey

January 2018 and I seem to be having the same issue.

I have only recently installed the Pwoershell tools, so I assume it should be the most recent version.. 4.3.0 April 2017. 

I'll check for a more recent version

Ok, found 4.5.0 so Ill give that a try

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public