Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Error creating new vserver with subtype dp-destination

MadSANMan

When I try and create a vserver using the New-NcVserver command with subtype dp-destination, it prompts me for the root volume information as shown in the first snippet of text below. But then it tells me I can't supply anything other then the vserver name, comment and ipspace. If I supply the root volume information with the command, I get the same error. If I leave the prompts to the root volume information blank as shown in the second snippet, it comes back with a different error. The command appears schizophrenic. Any ideas what's going on?

PS> New-NcVserver -Name dr_01234fs01 -Subtype dp-destination
cmdlet New-NcVserver at command pipeline position 1
Supply values for the following parameters:
(Type !? for Help.)
RootVolume: dr_01234fs01_root
RootVolumeAggregate: aggr1_dd_netapp02_02
RootVolumeSecurityStyle: NTFS
New-NcVserver : Cannot specify options other than Vserver name, comment and ipspace for a Vserver that is being configured as the destination for Vserver DR.
At line:1 char:1
+ New-NcVserver -Name dr_01234fs01 -Subtype dp-destination
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (netapp02.vcpi.com:NcController) [New-NcVserver], NaUnknownErrnoException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ApiException,DataONTAP.C.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Vserver.NewNcVserver

PS> New-NcVserver -Name dr_01234fs01 -Subtype dp-destination
cmdlet New-NcVserver at command pipeline position 1
Supply values for the following parameters:
(Type !? for Help.)
RootVolume:
RootVolumeAggregate:
RootVolumeSecurityStyle:
New-NcVserver : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'RootVolume' because it is an empty string.
At line:1 char:1
+ New-NcVserver -Name dr_01234fs01 -Subtype dp-destination
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: ( [New-NcVserver], ParameterBindingValidationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorEmptyStringNotAllowed,DataONTAP.C.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Vserver.NewNcVserver

3 REPLIES 3

asulliva

Hello @MadSANMan,

This appears to be a bug in the ONTAP PowerShell module.  The API docs state that root volume is required for all sub-types except dp-destination, so while PSTK has it as a required parameter, it shouldn't be for this sub-type.

I'll file a bug, thanks for finding this!  I'm happy to pay you with stickers if you're willing to PM me your address : )

Andrew

EDIT: for reference, this is bug id 1063918.

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

Justin_Cooksey

January 2018 and I seem to be having the same issue.

I have only recently installed the Pwoershell tools, so I assume it should be the most recent version.. 4.3.0 April 2017. 

I'll check for a more recent version

Justin_Cooksey

Ok, found 4.5.0 so Ill give that a try

Public