Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

NetApp PowerShell Toolkit 4.4 released!

Arpit_Kasliwal

Dear PowerShell community,

We are glad to announce the release of NetApp PowerShell Toolkit version 4.4. This unified release only has enhancements for ONTAP modules and we have kept SANtricity module as same as last release.

ONTAP PowerShell Module:
The latest release adds upto 2100 cmdlets and provides maximum API coverage for ONTAP 9.2 and is backward compatible with previous ONTAP releases.

Download the PowerShell Toolkit 4.4 from here

Regards,
NetApp PowerShell Toolkit Team

25 REPLIES 25

shamz
It seems like the internal version number wasn't bumped. I still get 4.2.0.0 from get-natoolkitversion even after a uninstall, reinstall. -S.

jet

I have the same issue where i am seeing 4.2 as the loaded version after i have installed the msi for 4.4.  Is this a bug or are we really not loading version 4.4?

Along with that i am trying to run invoke-ncssh against a cluster running DOT 9.1P5.  I keep get an error that "An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine".  I noticed that if i turn off FIPS and re-enable HTTP invoke-ncssh works fine.  Anyone know if there is a way to run invoke-ncssh with FIPS enabled? 

fvanbavel

Hi,

Trying to install PowerShell Toolkit 4.4 on Windows Server 2016 DataCenter and keep getting the following error.

"This application requires PowerShell 3.0 or above. Please install the required PowerShell version and then run this installer again."

Checked and PowerShell 3.0 is installed on the server

The following is installed

Windows PowerShell 5.1

Windows PowerShell 2.0 Engine

Windows PowerShell ISE

Tried holding down Shift and right clicking but do not get the option to run as administrator.

BluePenguin

open up a command prompt as admin

then run the installer from the command line - ie .\NetApp_PowerShell_Toolkit_4.4.0.msi

Should work fine after that

shamz

I think you are going to need to read my post a bit more carefully and then edit/remove your post.  This isn't a matter of the installation process, as far as I can see.  The msi package installs fine run as administrator with the standard "double-click".  The version number after installation is incorrect.

Now the installer might be so broken that it silently fails, but then it should be fixed. The de-installation could also be so broken that it doesn't remove all of the package, but again, that should be fixed if that's the case.

S.

Skip_Horn

It says their are 300 cmdlets for E-Series in this toolkit. I did a get-NcHelp - it only listed 1428 cmdlets and I do not see any that are E-Series/SANTricity?

Should not Get-NcHelp list the 2100 cdot/Netapp Cmdlets and the 300 E-Series?

Also to trun the cmdlets for E-Series - am I required to install E-Series SANtricity Web Services (REST API)?

asulliva

Use the Get-Command cmdlet...

(Get-Command -Module dataontap).count

I don't ever install the E-Series module (because I don't have an E-Series system), but I think it's a different module.  Try using the command "Get-Module -ListAvailable" and look at the modules available from the NetApp directory (should be something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\NetApp\NetApp PowerShell Toolkit\Modules").

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

Skip_Horn

After installing the Toolkit 4.4 then issue:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-Module -ListAvailable                                                             (shows the two modules  available from the kit install)
ModuleType Version Name                                       ExportedCommands
---------- ------- ---- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Manifest       4.2.0     DataONTAP                              {Add-NaAggr, Confirm-NaAggrSpareLow, Get-NaAggrMediaScrub,...
Manifest       1.2         NetApp.SANtricity.PowerShell {Get-NeCredential, New-NeCredential, Get-NeAbout, Get-NeSs...

PS C:\Windows\system32> import-module NetApp.SANtricity.PowerShell                                 (manuall loads the modules cmdlets - else put the inport-module command into profile.ps1

PS C:\Windows\system32> get-command -module  NetApp.SANtricity.PowerShell                    List all cmdlets in a module - their are 278 cmdlets listed

UTrentowski

I've Installed the Powershell Toolkit 4.4 on Windows Server 2016 Standard.

Connecting to CDOT SVM's works fine but I get an error when trying to connect to 7-mode filers.

PS C:\> connect-nacontroller my7modefiler.domain.local

2017-06-08 14:39:46,258 INFO DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.ConnectNaController - Cmdlet invocation: connect-nacontroller my7modefiler.domain.local

2017-06-08 14:39:46,259 DEBUG DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.ConnectNaController - No credentials provided, consulting cache

2017-06-08 14:39:46,260 DEBUG DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.ConnectNaController - Trying RPC

2017-06-08 14:39:46,260 DEBUG NetApp.Ontapi.NaServer - NaServer port changed to 0

2017-06-08 14:39:46,260 DEBUG NetApp.Ontapi.NaServer - NaServer Protocol changed to RPC

2017-06-08 14:39:46,260 DEBUG DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.ConnectNaController - Connecting to my7modefiler.domain.local via RPC

2017-06-08 14:39:46,260 DEBUG NetApp.Ontapi.NaServer - <netapp version='1.0' xmlns='http://www.netapp.com/filer/admin'><system-get-ontapi-version /></netapp>

connect-nacontroller : Failed to load ntapadmin32 DLL

At line:1 char:1

+ connect-nacontroller my7modefiler.domain.local

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo         : InvalidResult: (DRSSDN31:NaController) [Connect-NaController], Exception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : RpcConnectionFailed,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.ConnectNaController

2017-06-08 14:39:46,268 DEBUG DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.ConnectNaController - Failed to connect to my7modefiler.domain.local

2017-06-08 14:39:46,268 DEBUG DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.ConnectNaController - Setting value of global:CurrentNaController

2017-06-08 14:39:46,268 DEBUG DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.ConnectNaController - Starting EMS logging

I already tried and checked a lot of different things:

- Uninstalling and reinstalling the toolkit --> same error

- Uninstall dotNet 4.7, install dotnet 4.5 --> same error (that was the only significant difference I've seen between Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016)

- running powershell in 32bit and 64bit also as Administrator--> same error

- Installed the 4.4 Toolkit on Windows 10 with the same PS Version --> works fine

- Uninstalled the 4.4 Toolkit and installed the oldest Toolkit Version I've found in my archive: 3.2.0.65  --> works fine.

PS C:\> connect-nacontroller my7modefiler.domain.local

Name Address Ontapi Version

---- ------- ------ -------

my7modefiler.domain.local 192.168.0.40 1.21 NetApp Release 8.2.4P6 7-Mode: Wed Jan 11 01:07:08 PST 2017

Any Idea whats wrong the 4.4 and 7-mode on Windows Server 2016?

UTrentowski

Version 4.0 (internal version 3.3.0.65) works fine.

drwoodberry

Any chance to get the toolkit updated to reflect some of the new 9.2 features like encrypted FlexGroup volumes. I see that I cannot use the "-Encrypt" switch when making flexgroup volumes. Will I need to pass the command via InVoke-Ssh in the meantime? I would rather not have to re-write.

asulliva

Hello @drwoodberry,

The API docs (for ZAPI 1.120 / ONTAP 9.2) specifically state that the encrypt option doesn't work with FlexGroup (or Infinite) volumes.

2017-07-07 12_52_15-Microsoft Edge.png

So, the PowerShell toolkit can't support it via cmdlet.  You'll need to use Invoke-NcSsh.

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

drwoodberry

Thanks for the information.

BluePenguin
Replied to wrong post

Ho hum

ijustwantthemodule

The link to the download is broken?

This page isn’t working

mysupport.netapp.com redirected you too many times.

ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECT

drwoodberry

So what are the odds we can get the module attritbutes to be updated to reflect the version. For a while now if you get the version of the module it showed with toolkit 4.0 -4.3.

ModuleType Version Name ExportedCommands
---------- ------- ---- ----------------
Manifest 4.1.0 dataontap {Add-NaAggr, Add-NaCifsShare, Add-NaCredential, Add-NaFpolicyExtension...}

Major Minor Build Revision
----- ----- ----- --------
4 1 0 -1

I see in 4.4 the minor version has been incremented to "2". Can the versions shown when you use get-module match the add/remove programs version? I have quite a few scripts that rely on certain versions and I need to validate the version prior to execution. If the module version retrieved by the commandlet matched the add/remove program version, that would be great. 

asulliva

Remember the PowerShell Toolkit is made up of two separate modules: ONTAP and E-Series.  The toolkit version is increased whenever either of the component modules has a release, even if only one of them was modified, the entire toolkit's version will be increased.

Yes, I know this is confusing.  Yes, I know this seems odd.  Yes, I have requested we reevaluate how this is done : )

Andrew

drwoodberry

No worries, and thanks for the response. 

Yes, it is confusing.

Jim_Robertson

@asulliva wrote:

Remember the PowerShell Toolkit is made up of two separate modules: ONTAP and E-Series.  The toolkit version is increased whenever either of the component modules has a release, even if only one of them was modified, the entire toolkit's version will be increased.

Yes, I know this is confusing.  Yes, I know this seems odd.  Yes, I have requested we reevaluate how this is done : )

Andrew

Is there a way to accurately tell which version of the OnTap Toolkit is currently installed?  The best way I've found is to look at the NOTICE.pdf that is located in the install folder.  The first page of that lists the installed version.  Of course, that isn't ideal, because if I don't have Adobe installed on a servers I have the Toolkit installed on, I can't read it.

asulliva

Hello @Jim_Robertson,

You can get the ONTAP module version two ways:

PS C:\Users\Andrew> Get-Module DataONTAP

ModuleType Version    Name                                ExportedCommands                                                                                                     
---------- -------    ----                                ----------------                                                                                                     
Manifest   4.2.0      dataontap                           {Add-NaAggr, Add-NaCifsShare, Add-NaCredential, Add-NaFpolicyExtension...}  

or 

PS C:\Users\Andrew> Get-NaToolkitVersion

Major  Minor  Build  Revision
-----  -----  -----  --------
4      2      0      0       

Hope that helps!

Andrew

Public