Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Get-NaVol : Not enough memory for reply value, but command completed successfull

Hi Team,

I need to get a list of snapshots for all volumes on the filer. However, when I execute the following command the out put says "Not Enough Memory". I have extended the memory to 5120 MB, still no luck.

Below are the commands, which I tried already:

Get-navol|select volumename|Get-NaSnapshot|Export-Csv FilerName.csv

Get-navol|Get-NaSnapshot|Export-Csv FilerName.csv

Need your help on this. Thank You.

Best Regards,
Krishna Kishore Govada.
4 REPLIES

Re: Get-NaVol : Not enough memory for reply value, but command completed successfull

Hi Krishna,

Is there any chance you could post a screenshot of the error or posted the exact wording and eloborate where the error appears... i.e doe it appear withing the PowerShell console?

Kind regards,

Jason

Re: Get-NaVol : Not enough memory for reply value, but command completed successfull

^^

From a pure best practices you shouldn't have to do a select volumename b/c get-nasnapshot will accept from the pipeline the proper vol name

Try this to see if this works just in your powershell console

get-navol | % {
write-host "Volume Name:" $_.name

get-nasnapshot $_.name 
}

See if you get output from that

Also - what were your specs again and what toolkit version

Hi Krishna,

I suspect you might be using an older version of the PowerShell Toolkit? Use the following CmdLet to identify which version you have:

PS C:\> Get-NaToolkitVersion

Major  Minor  Build  Revision
-----  -----  -----  --------
3      0      0      90

I've come accross this memory error issue before and found that newer versions of the toolkit have a "-Terse" paramater associated with the "Get-NaVol" CmdLet which prevents the CmdLet querying each volume object for all of it's properties (which tends to result in a out-of-memory error on systems with a large number of volumes). See:

PS C:\> Get-help Get-NaVol -full

NAME
    Get-NaVol

SYNOPSIS
    Get volume status.

SYNTAX
    Get-NaVol [[-Name] <String[]>] [-Aggregate <String>] [-Terse] [-Controller <NaController>] [<CommonParameters>]

-Terse
        If specified, omit retrieving some volume attributes, including "RaidGroups" in the "Plexes" array, "SnapAutoDelete", and "AutoSize".  Use wh
        en retrieving a large number of volumes and these attributes are not necessary.

Hope that helps

/matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

Thank You all for your valuable suggestions on this. In my case the issue was with the memory of the server, which was overloaded. I ran the script on a server which has sufficient memory (RAM) and it worked fine. 

However, all your suggestions are valuable and have made a note of them to use them when in need. Happy New Year..!!

Best Regards,

Krishna Kishore Govada.

Forums