Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Get-NaVol different behavior between versions 1.7 and 2.2

bsti

For some reason,  the 2.2 version of the toolkit returns a LOT fewer volumes on some of my controllers than the same cmdlet in 1.7.  Most of the volumes in question are Snapmirror Destinations.  It's strange, but I don't see a pattern in which show up and which do not.  Some destination volumes show up, others don't.

Is there a difference in the way this cmdlet filters results by default?

I'll keep looking, and will post if I find a common attribute among the missing volumes.

7 REPLIES 7

bsti

It was simpler than I thought.  I have 3 aggregates, and for some reason all of the vols missing in the get-navol call belong to the same aggregate.  For some reason, any volumes in this aggregate are not being reported by get-navol.

The only unusual characteristic of the aggregate is it's fuller than I'd like (over 90% full). 

beam

Do the volumes show up if you use the -Terse switch with Get-NaVol?

bsti

It does.  However, I just read the description of the new -terse switch on this cmdlet, and the description does not make it clear it will report a different number of volumes. 

So, is this in fact intended behavior or is this a bug?  Why is not adding the -terse parameter causing different volumes to display?

My second thought is if this is intended behavior, I have to go fix *several* scripts to include this new switch.  This is new behavior added as of this (or a recent) release of the toolkit, and I would have had it default to behaving like previous versions of the toolkit, rather than me having to do something different between releases to get the same results.  I think changes like this will cause your users many issues and make changing toolkit versions somewhat perilous.

bsti

Just pinging this topic to see if thise was identified as a bug or intended behavior.  I can't upgrade past 1.7 until this is addressed, so I'm wondering if this will be fixed in a future version.  Thanks!

beam

We are aware of the issue, and are working toward a resolution for an upcoming release, so stay tuned!

bsti

Excellent!  Thanks very much!

beam

Toolkit 2.3, released today, fixes this issue.  In order to get the best performance from the PowerShell Toolkit, I would still recommend using the -Terse switch if you are not using the additional properties returned when -Terse is not present.

Public