Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Get most recent snapshot

stepheno

Hi All,

I need to set a variable name to that of the most recent snapshot name in a given volume (we're gonna vol clone it).   This is likely really basic and easy but I'm just starting to work in powershell and need a hint.  Thanks for your replies.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sizemore

Your almost there... To get the last snapshot you just need to add a sort to your pipeline.

$SnapName = Get-NaSnapshot -name vol0 |             
    Sort-Object -Property Created -Descending |             
    Select-Object -ExpandProperty Name -First 1

~Glenn

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

stepheno

I found one way of doing this, based on their appearance in the snap list and not date/timestamp:

Get-NaSnapshot vol0 | select -expandproperty name -first 1

it works, but still interested in seeing anything anyone else is doing.

sizemore

Your almost there... To get the last snapshot you just need to add a sort to your pipeline.

$SnapName = Get-NaSnapshot -name vol0 |             
    Sort-Object -Property Created -Descending |             
    Select-Object -ExpandProperty Name -First 1

~Glenn

View solution in original post

brad_payne

I see this referenced all of the time...the "Created" property of a snapshot. I've got filers, with ONTAP 7.3.4 thru 8.0.2, and none of them return a "Created" property of a snapshot. I have resorted to sorting by AccessTimeDT. Am I missing something?

Example:

Get-NaVol | Get-NaSnapshot | Get-Member

Results:

Name                              MemberType Definition

----                              ---------- ----------

Equals                            Method     bool Equals(System.Object obj)

GetHashCode                       Method     int GetHashCode()

GetType                           Method     type GetType()

ToString                          Method     string ToString()

Validate                          Method     System.Void Validate()

AccessTime                        Property   System.Nullable`1[[System.Int64, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neu...

AccessTimeDT                      Property   System.Nullable`1[[System.DateTime, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=...

Busy                              Property   System.Nullable`1[[System.Boolean, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=n...

CumulativePercentageOfTotalBlocks Property   System.Nullable`1[[System.Int64, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neu...

CumulativePercentageOfUsedBlocks  Property   System.Nullable`1[[System.Int64, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neu...

CumulativeTotal                   Property   System.Nullable`1[[System.Int64, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neu...

Dependency                        Property   System.String Dependency {get;set;}

Name                              Property   System.String Name {get;set;}

PercentageOfTotalBlocks           Property   System.Nullable`1[[System.Int64, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neu...

PercentageOfUsedBlocks            Property   System.Nullable`1[[System.Int64, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neu...

SnapshotOwnersList                Property   NetApp.Ontapi.Filer.Snapshot.SnapshotOwner[] SnapshotOwnersList {get;set;}

Total                             Property   System.Nullable`1[[System.Int64, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neu...

cknight

Hi, Brad.  You must be using an older version of the Toolkit.  We often use a shortened field name in the tabular views to conserve space, and in a recent release we added a number of alias properties so that you can always refer to fields by the column headers.  In your case, Created == AccessTimeDT.

PS C:\> get-nasnapshot vol0 weekly.0

Name                                               Created      Total Cumulative Dependency

----                                               -------      ----- ---------- ----------

weekly.0                                        10/24/2011   116.0 KB    76.1 MB

PS C:\> get-nasnapshot vol0 weekly.0 | gm

TypeName: NetApp.Ontapi.Filer.Snapshot.SnapshotInfo

Name                              MemberType    Definition

----                              ----------    ----------

Created                           AliasProperty Created = AccessTimeDT

Cumulative                        AliasProperty Cumulative = CumulativeTotal

Equals                            Method        bool Equals(System.Object obj)

GetHashCode                       Method        int GetHashCode()

GetType                           Method        type GetType()

ToString                          Method        string ToString()

Validate                          Method        System.Void Validate()

AccessTime                        Property      System.Nullable`1[[System.Int64, mscorlib, V

AccessTimeDT                      Property      System.Nullable`1[[System.DateTime, mscorlib

Busy                              Property      System.Nullable`1[[System.Boolean, mscorlib,

CumulativePercentageOfTotalBlocks Property      System.Nullable`1[[System.Int64, mscorlib, V

CumulativePercentageOfUsedBlocks  Property      System.Nullable`1[[System.Int64, mscorlib, V

CumulativeTotal                   Property      System.Nullable`1[[System.Int64, mscorlib, V

Dependency                        Property      System.String Dependency {get;set;}

Name                              Property      System.String Name {get;set;}

PercentageOfTotalBlocks           Property      System.Nullable`1[[System.Int64, mscorlib, V

PercentageOfUsedBlocks            Property      System.Nullable`1[[System.Int64, mscorlib, V

SnapshotOwnersList                Property      NetApp.Ontapi.Filer.Snapshot.SnapshotOwner[]

TargetName                        Property      System.String TargetName {get;set;}

TargetType                        Property      System.String TargetType {get;set;}

Total                             Property      System.Nullable`1[[System.Int64, mscorlib, V

brad_payne

Got it. Updated DataOntap toolkit to 1.5 and I now see the alias. I appreciate the quick response.

Thanks

BrendonHiggins

I use the following to get the SME snap name.

Get-NaSnapshot volume exchsnap__* | select-object Name -last 1

Just learning powershell myself but hope it helps

Bren

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public