Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Get-ncvol command to generate a list of offline volumes from multiple clusters and send a report.

RayR

Get-ncvol command to generate a list of offline volumes from multiple clusters and send a report.  I'm new to using powershell and would like to get some help on this. 

2 REPLIES 2

donny_lang

Do you have any code written yet that we could take a look at it and give feedback on? Some ideas to get you started:

1. Look at the "Add-NcCredential" cmdlet in the PowerShell Toolkit to cache credentials to clusters to make connecting to them easier when running scripts/functions (check out the Get-Help cmdlet to get more information, syntax, examples, etc. for cmdlets if you are not familiar with it already). 

2. You will need to use foreach loops to loop through a collection of your cluster hostnames. 

3. If you're not familiar with it already, look at the Where-Object cmdlet, which allows you to select objects from command output based on their properties (like the state of a volume, for example). Pipes are your friend! 

4. What format are you expecting this report to be in? If email, you can use the "Send-MailMessage" cmdlet to format and send the relevant output to you. 

Hope this helps - feel free to hit me up with any code that you're struggling with or any follow-up questions and I'll lend a hand. 

Donny

RayR

So I found this script for generating reports for snapshots. I figured I can use it as a template and modify the commands for generating reports for offline volumes from multiple clusters. I'll review the links you sent me foreach loops and where-object and paste the command here again. 

@"
===============================================================================
Title: Netapp Offline Volume notifications.ps1
Description: List offline volumes on the Netapp clusters.
Requirements: Windows Powershell and the Netapp Powershell Toolkit
Author: Ed Grigson
===============================================================================
"@

Import-module DataOnTap

#Age of snapshot (in days) before it's included in the report
#$WarningDays = 7
#List the filers you want to scan
$NetappList=("clusters")
#List of email recipients
$emailNotifications=("emailaddress")
#SMTP server - replace with your SMTP relay below
$emailServer="x.x.x.x"
$Now=Get-Date

#Generate HTML output that uses CSS for style formatting.
$emailContent = "<html><head><title></title><style type=""text/css"">.Error {color:#FF0000;font-weight: bold;}.Title {background: #0077D4;color: #FFFFFF;text-align:center;font-weight: bold;}.Normal {}</style></head><body>"
$emailContent += "<p>Please scan the list of offline volumes and destroy it if not needed"
#$emailContent += "<p>Only snapshots over $WarningDays days old are shown."

foreach ($netapp in $NetappList) {
$emailContent += "<h2>$Netapp</h2>"
$emailContent += "<table><tr class='Title'><td colspan='4'>Netapp Offline Volume Report</td></tr><tr class='Title'><td>List of Volumes"
$Report = @()
Connect-NcController $netapp | select Name,Address
Get-NcVol -Query @{State="*offline*"} | Format-Table Name,State,Aggregate,Vserver
$ParentName=$_.Name
$Snap = get-ncvol $ParentName | add-member -membertype noteproperty -name ParentName -value $ParentName -passthru | select ParentName,Name
$Report += $Snap
}
Foreach ($snapshot in ($Report | Sort-Object -property AccessTime)){
#see if the snapshot is older than the value specified in $WarningDays and if so include in report
if ($snapshot.AccessTime -le $Now.AddDays(-$WarningDays)) {
Reformat the snapshot size into Gb
$snapsize = "{0,20:n3}" -f (($snapshot.Total*1024)/1GB)
$emailContent += "<tr><td>$($snapshot.ParentName)</td><td>$($snapshot.Name)</td><td>$($snapshot.AccessTime)</td><td>$($snapsize)GB</td></tr>"

$emailContent += "</table></body></html>"

# Generate the report and email it as a HTML body of an email
$SmtpClient = New-Object system.net.mail.smtpClient
$SmtpClient.host = $emailServer
$MailMessage = New-Object system.net.mail.mailmessage
#Change to email address you want emails to be coming from
$MailMessage.from = "storagereport@domain.com"
foreach($email in $emailNotifications) {
$MailMessage.To.add($email)
}
$MailMessage.Subject = "Netapp Offline Volume Report"
$MailMessage.IsBodyHtml = 1
$MailMessage.Body = $emailContent
$SmtpClient.Send($MailMessage)

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public