Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Invoke-NcSsh complaining PuTTy not installed when executed from scheduled tasks

eugene_t

Hi all,

I have a .ps1 script that consists of a combination of PoSh cmdlets and Invoke-NcSsh. The script works as expected when it's executed from PoSh but throws errors saying "Error: Please install putty ( version putty-64bit-0.70(64bit) or putty-0.70-installer(32bit) ) on your machine to use this cmdlet.. Code: . Message: Unable to connect <cluster>" when the script is triggered from a scheduled task. 

PuTTy is installed and permissions of its registry key is configured as reported elsewhere in this forum. Does anyone else have this problem / knows how to rectify this?

Info:

Windows Server 2012 R2

PoSh 5.1.14409.1018

NetApp PoSh toolkit version 4.5.0

4 REPLIES 4

PhillipUdel

have been using putty-64bit-0.70-installer.msi for NetApp_PowerShell_Toolkit_9.6.0.msi.

I also make the regestory change to Local Machine software\simontatham and Add the local User/ System Full Control in the permissions.

I find running powershell as administrator works well.

eugene_t

Thanks PhillipUdel but I have no problems with executing normally "Invoke-NcSsh" from a PoSh console. The problem only comes in when the command is executed from a scheduled task. 

@PhillipUdel wrote:

have been using putty-64bit-0.70-installer.msi for NetApp_PowerShell_Toolkit_9.6.0.msi.

I also make the regestory change to Local Machine software\simontatham and Add the local User/ System Full Control in the permissions.

I find running powershell as administrator works well.

mbeattie

Hi,

There have been a number of issues with Invoke-NcSsh and Putty

https://community.netapp.com/t5/Microsoft-Virtualization-Discussions/Invoke-NcSsh-failing-with-ONTAP-9-3/td-p/137313/page/2 

Have you considered using "Invoke-NcSystemApi" as an SSH replacement? What SSH commands are running in your script?

/Matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

eugene_t

@mbeattie wrote:

Hi,

There have been a number of issues with Invoke-NcSsh and Putty

https://community.netapp.com/t5/Microsoft-Virtualization-Discussions/Invoke-NcSsh-failing-with-ONTAP-9-3/td-p/137313/page/2 

Have you considered using "Invoke-NcSystemApi" as an SSH replacement? What SSH commands are running in your script?

/Matt

Hi Matt,

Yeah I've considered using "Invoke-NcSystemApi" as an alternative but haven't got round to testing it. 

These are the "Invoke-NcSsh" commands I'm trying to run,

Invoke-NcSsh -Command "system timeout show"
Invoke-NcSsh -Command "security ssh show"
Invoke-NcSsh -Command "vserver services web show -ssl-only false -name spi"
Invoke-NcSsh -Command "vserver services web show -ssl-only false -name ontapi"
Invoke-NcSsh -Command "system services ndmp show"

I'll be more than happy to switch to their native cmdlets if one exists and if not, "Invoke-NcSystemApi" but I'll probably need some help with "Invoke-NcSystemApi".

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public