Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Issue using Set-NcNetInterface with 2 LIFs using a same name on 2 differents SVM

POLICARD

Dear Powershell addicts,

I got a strange behavior using the command Set-NcNetInterface for modifying the homeNode with DataONTAP Module 4.3 to latest 4.7.

I have an interface with the same name on 2 differents SVM (I know ... it's ugly).

So I have indicated vserver and Name similar to what I am doing with "network interface modify" command.

There is the result:

PS C:\> Set-NcNetInterface -Vserver svmdr_e11_fls_EDOC_PLUS_CL_STA -Name lif-EDOC_PLUS_CL_STA -HomeNode e21cdot1-02

InterfaceName        OpStatus DataProtocols        FirewallPolicy Vserver              Address
-------------        -------- -------------        -------------- -------              -------
lif-EDOC_PLUS_CL_STA    up    {nfs}                     data      svm_e21_fls_EDOC_... 168.124.26.41
lif-EDOC_PLUS_CL_STA   down   {nfs, cifs}               data      svmdr_e11_fls_EDO... 168.124.24.80

So, I have found a workaround by using "Invoke-NcSsh" with "network interface modify" and it's working fine, targetting only one LIF when -vserver is set.

I think this is a bug ... ? What do you think about ?

5 REPLIES 5

ChanceBingen

Sounds like a bug, have you tried connecting directly to the SVM using an SVM management LIF and SVM credentials (like vsadmin)?

Theoretically it should allow you to make changes to SVM scoped objects and not have any visibility to the LIFs on other SVMs.

POLICARD

Hi

No I never connect to SVM as we are not using Management LIF at SVM level. ONTAP is already consumming enough IP addresses and we cannot provide 1 IP per SVM that cannot handle Data.

But the Inovke-NcSSH was perfect for me. I only know I should be very careful with the cmdlet Set-NcNetInterface for the moment.

connoisseur

@POLICARD wrote:

Hi

No I never connect to SVM as we are not using Management LIF at SVM level. ONTAP is already consumming enough IP addresses and we cannot provide 1 IP per SVM that cannot handle Data.

But the Inovke-NcSSH was perfect for me. I only know I should be very careful with the cmdlet Set-NcNetInterface for the moment.

Or you can change the firewall policy to mgmt on the SVM as it includes data access as well

net inte modify -vserver vs1 -lif lif1 -firewall-policy mgmt

ChanceBingen

Good morning. As I look back over your post, I'm not entirely sure I see what's wrong.

When I run the same commands in a sandbox lab, I get the expected results, shown below, redacted. You can see the LIF migrated nodes correctly.

PS C:\Users\BINGEN> Connect-NcController <my IP>

Name Address Vserver Version
---- ------- ------- -------
<IP> <IP> NetApp Release 8.3.1: Mon Aug 31 12:42:08 UTC 2015

PS C:\Users\BINGEN> Get-NcNode

Node NodeModel NodeLocation IsAllFlashOptimized
---- --------- ------------ -------------------
<node>-10 FAS3250 <location> False
<node>-11 FAS3250 <location> False

PS C:\Users\BINGEN> Get-NcNetInterface

InterfaceName OpStatus DataProtocols FirewallPolicy Vserver Address
------------- -------- ------------- -------------- ------- -------
<node>-10_clus1 up Cluster <IP>
<node>-10_clus2 up Cluster <IP>
<node>-11_clus1 up Cluster <IP>
<node>-11_clus2 up Cluster <IP>
cluster_mgmt up mgmt <cluster> <IP>
<node>-10_mgmt1 up mgmt <cluster> <IP>

<node>-11_mgmt1 up mgmt <cluster> <IP>
lif1 up {nfs, cifs, fcache} data svm1 <IP>
lif1 up {nfs, cifs} data svm2 <IP>

PS C:\Users\BINGEN> Get-NcNetInterface | select InterfaceName,HomeNode

InterfaceName HomeNode
------------- --------
<node>-10_clus1 fas3250-rtp-10
<node>-10_clus2 fas3250-rtp-10
<node>-11_clus1 fas3250-rtp-11
<node>-11_clus2 fas3250-rtp-11
cluster_mgmt <node>-10
<node>-10_mgmt1 <node>-10
<node>-11_mgmt1 <node>-11
lif1 <node>-11
lif1 <node>-11

PS C:\Users\BINGEN> Set-NcNetInterface -Vserver svm2 -Name lif1 -HomeNode <node>-10

InterfaceName OpStatus DataProtocols FirewallPolicy Vserver Address
------------- -------- ------------- -------------- ------- -------
lif1 up {nfs, cifs, fcache} data svm1 <IP>
lif1 up {nfs, cifs} data svm2 <IP>

PS C:\Users\BINGEN> Get-NcNetInterface | select InterfaceName,HomeNode

InterfaceName HomeNode
------------- --------
<node>-10_clus1 <node>-10
<node>-10_clus2 <node>-10
<node>-11_clus1 <node>-11
<node>-11_clus2 <node>-11
cluster_mgmt <node>-10
<node>-10_mgmt1 <node>-10
<node>-11_mgmt1 <node>-11
lif1 <node>-11
lif1 <node>-10

POLICARD

Hi,

Strange, on my side it was modifying the 2 interfaces with the same name.

But, in your case, this is strange that a command filtered on svm2 can display a line concerning svm1 ... 😐

Public