Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Latest PowerShell toolkit will not import the module

Andrew7193

All I have downloaded and installed the latest PowerShell Toolkit 9.7.1. I am running PowerShell 7.0.3 and when I try to run the command Import-Module DataONTAP I get this (verbose mode):

import-module DataONTAP -verbose

VERBOSE: Loading module from path 'C:\program files\powershell\7\Modules\DataONTAP\DataONTAP.psd1'.
VERBOSE: Loading 'Assembly' from path 'C:\program files\powershell\7\Modules\DataONTAP\OntapiPS.dll'.
VERBOSE: Loading 'Executable' from path 'C:\program files\powershell\7\Modules\DataONTAP\OntapiPS.dll'.
VERBOSE: Loading 'Assembly' from path 'C:\program files\powershell\7\Modules\DataONTAP\DataONTAP.HostUtilities.dll'.
VERBOSE: Loading 'Executable' from path 'C:\program files\powershell\7\Modules\DataONTAP\DataONTAP.HostUtilities.dll'.
VERBOSE: Loading 'TypesToProcess' from path 'C:\program files\powershell\7\Modules\DataONTAP\DataONTAP.Type.ps1xml'.
VERBOSE: Loading 'TypesToProcess' from path 'C:\program files\powershell\7\Modules\DataONTAP\DataONTAP.C.Type.ps1xml'.
VERBOSE: Loading 'FormatsToProcess' from path 'C:\program files\powershell\7\Modules\DataONTAP\DataONTAP.Format.ps1xml'.
VERBOSE: Loading 'FormatsToProcess' from path 'C:\program files\powershell\7\Modules\DataONTAP\DataONTAP.C.Format.ps1xml'.
VERBOSE: Loading module from path 'C:\program files\powershell\7\Modules\DataONTAP\DataONTAP.dll'.
Import-Module: Could not load type 'System.Management.Automation.PSSnapIn' from assembly 'System.Management.Automation, Version=7.0.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'.

That last error is on DataONTAP.dll I asume. Has any one run across this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mcgue

I have been able to recreate this issue with PowerShell 7.0.3 and opened bug 1344144 on this issue.  Using PowerShell 5.1 I did not have the issue. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

mcgue

I have been able to recreate this issue with PowerShell 7.0.3 and opened bug 1344144 on this issue.  Using PowerShell 5.1 I did not have the issue. 

Andrew7193

I did not either. I believe it worked in 7.0.1 but don't quote me as it was a preview release and I ripped it out to use the actual "supported" version of Powershell 7.0.3

Andrew7193

This error presents itself in 7.0.2 as well.

Andrew7193

Is the bug public so I can follow the progress? I looked it up (1344144) and did not see it.

BenFB

@mcgue is there any progress on this? We require PowerShell 7 (7.0.3) and currently have to fallback to 5 to get the NetApp PowerShell Toolkit working.

OhGross

Has there been any progress on this bug?

OhGross

This is not a solution to the issue.  The issue still remains that the PS module will not load with PS 7.0.3 or higher.

KevinMDavis

Why is this marked as a "solution" and the problem marked as "solved"? That's BS, and you have to know that.  Requiring people to downgrade their environment to PS 5.1, when the entire world has been moving to 7x for a couple of years now, is NOT a solution.  This is bogus.

Latest NetApp toolkit, 9.8, powershell 7.3.3, and still...so thanks for nothing for this "solution".

PS C:\bin\SVN> Import-Module DataONTAP -Verbose
VERBOSE: Loading module from path 'C:\program files\powershell\7\Modules\DataONTAP\DataONTAP.psd1'.
VERBOSE: Loading 'Assembly' from path 'C:\program files\powershell\7\Modules\DataONTAP\OntapiPS.dll'.
VERBOSE: Loading 'Assembly' from path 'C:\program files\powershell\7\Modules\DataONTAP\DataONTAP.HostUtilities.dll'.
VERBOSE: Loading 'TypesToProcess' from path 'C:\program files\powershell\7\Modules\DataONTAP\DataONTAP.Type.ps1xml'.
VERBOSE: Loading 'TypesToProcess' from path 'C:\program files\powershell\7\Modules\DataONTAP\DataONTAP.C.Type.ps1xml'.
VERBOSE: Loading 'FormatsToProcess' from path 'C:\program files\powershell\7\Modules\DataONTAP\DataONTAP.Format.ps1xml'.
VERBOSE: Loading 'FormatsToProcess' from path 'C:\program files\powershell\7\Modules\DataONTAP\DataONTAP.C.Format.ps1xml'.
VERBOSE: Loading module from path 'C:\program files\powershell\7\Modules\DataONTAP\DataONTAP.dll'.
Import-Module: Could not load type 'System.Management.Automation.PSSnapIn' from assembly 'System.Management.Automation, Version=7.3.3.500, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'.

Francis_Favorini

Still a problem with PowerShell 7.1.3 and DataONTAP module 9.8.0.

Import-Module: Could not load type 'System.Management.Automation.PSSnapIn' from assembly 'System.Management.Automation, Version=7.1.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'.

OhGross

@Francis_Favorini - Thanks for the update.  I'm about to cutover to a new laptop and was thinking about this yesterday... I must have been thinking loud enough for others to hear.

Cheers,

EG

Vandi

It’s not just NetApp toolkit, but looks like Snapcenter/SnapDrive powershell modules have similar results.

OhGross

NetApp just published a new PS Tool Kit (9.9.1) that per the install guide will work with PS 7.0.3 and above.

Haven't tested yet but will update this if i see any issues... if no update, the new version is working.

Big thanks to Joe T. (our TAM) for sending me the info.

Public