Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Need powershell get-ncaggrspace to give me "Logical Unreferenced Capacity" number

GLENYU5820

I tried powershell toolkit 9.12, no luck to get this number.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks

Glen

6 REPLIES 6

Ontapforrum

Could you tell us little bit more ? What do you mean by unreferenced capacity and also when you say no luck to get this number, do you mean "no output" or it is not according to your expectation? Are you able to get this in previous PowerShell toolkit.

GLENYU5820

At the ONTAP v9.9.1 and before,  the "Logical Unreferenced Capacity" was called unreclaimed space, and powershell toolkit v9.8 has this unreclaimed space number for me to use.

From ONTAP v9.10.1, the name got changed to "Logical Unreferenced Capacity" if you run a CLI aggr show-space, you will see an output like below

Aggregate : aggr1
Object Store: S3Bucket
Feature Used Used%
-------------------------------- ---------- ------
Logical Used xxxxx
Referenced Capacity xxxx
Logical Unreferenced Capacity xxxx
Space Saved by Storage Efficiency xxxx

Total Physical Used xxxx

But the powershell Get-NcAggrSpace output does not have the entry. since I use powershell to get daily report, I am not able to get the "Logical Unreferenced Capacity" number.

Make sense ?

If you need more info, we can do a zoom.

Thanks

Glen

Ontapforrum

I see, what you are saying. Thanks for educating me on the 'Logical Unreferenced Capacity'. Looks like this is specific to 'object store' aggregates.

[-object-store-logical-unreferenced-capacity {<integer>[KB|MB|GB|TB|PB]}] - Logical Unreferenced Capacity
If this parameter is specified, the command displays information only about the aggregates whose logical unreferenced capacity in use in the attached object store matches the specified value.

On my 9.10.1 Simulator (as I don't have object store attached), it gives me nothing:

ontapnew::> aggr show-space -fields object-store-logical-unreferenced-capacity
aggregate-name bin-num object-store-logical-unreferenced-capacity
----------------- ------- ------------------------------------------
aggr0_ontapnew_01 0 -
ontapnew_01_FC_1 0 -
2 entries were displayed.

Same for - unreclaimed-space:

ontapnew::> aggr show-space -fields object-store-unreclaimed-space
aggregate-name bin-num object-store-unreclaimed-space
----------------- ------- ------------------------------
aggr0_ontapnew_01 0 -
ontapnew_01_FC_1 0 -
2 entries were displayed.

ontapnew::>

On the side note :The definition (logical-unreferenced-capacity) is tricky to understand :- The command displays information "only about the aggregates whose logical unreferenced capacity in use in the attached object store", "matches the specified value". That suggests, some value has to be passed that matches the specified value in the object-store?

https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap-cli-9101/storage-aggregate-show-space.html#parameters

I am using NetApp Powershell version(v9.6), I see this parameter 'ObjectStoreUnreclaimedSpace' below. Are you not seeing this or it's coming up blank now since 9.10.1 ?

PS C:\> Connect-NcController -Name 192.168.0.27

Name Address Vserver Version
---- ------- ------- -------
192.168.0.27 192.168.0.27 NetApp Release 9.10.1: Sat Jan 15 10:49:44 UTC 2022

PS C:\> Get-NcAggrSpace
Aggregate : ontapnew_01_FC_1
AggregateMetadata : 389120
AggregateMetadataPercent : 0
AggregateSize : 13212057600
NcController : 192.168.0.27
ObjectStoreMetadata :
ObjectStoreMetadataPercent :
ObjectStorePhysicalUsed :
ObjectStorePhysicalUsedPercent :
ObjectStoreReferencedCapacity :
ObjectStoreReferencedCapacityPercent :
ObjectStoreSisSpaceSaved :
ObjectStoreSisSpaceSavedPercent :
ObjectStoreSize :
ObjectStoreUnreclaimedSpace : <>

How about this ps command, does this show  ?
PS C:\> Get-NcAggrObjectStore

GLENYU5820

You have to have capacity tier in order to see the number of 'Logical Unreferenced Capacity'.

On the side note :The definition (logical-unreferenced-capacity) is tricky to understand

I understand this concept very clearly. you can think about this space is being charged by provider, but you are not using it. I have an ticket with NetApp support to get this number down actively.

I was tracking this number before upgrading to ONTAP v9.10.1, after that, my powershell script gives me 0, I thought I was good until I found out it is not 0 by running aggr show-space CLI last week, then revisit my powershell found this issue, upgraded to powershell toolkit v9.12 which still does not report this number.

> I am using NetApp Powershell version(v9.6), I see this parameter 'ObjectStoreUnreclaimedSpace' below. Are you not seeing this or it's coming up blank now since 9.10.1 ?

Currently I have

ONTAP v9.9.1 and use powershell toolkit v9.8

ONTAP v9.10.1 and use powershell toolkit v9.10

The powershell script reports correctly at the ONTAP v9.9.1

For the ONTAP v9.10.1, the Get-NcAggrSpace give me blank.

GLENYU5820

How about this ps command, does this show  ? PS C:\> Get-NcAggrObjectStore

Run ths command, it gives me some info about objectstore with "UsedSpace" which is not the number I need 

GLENYU5820

Any updates and progress to provide the ObjectStoreUnreclaimedSpace ?

Thanks

Glen

Public