Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

NetApp Simulator and SCVMM 2012 RC

JEFFHARRIS

Has anyone had success using the OnTAP Simulator with System Center Virtual Machine Manage 2012 RC?

I've been playing around with the new process of adding providers and have continued to run into problems managing storage pools. After adding the storage provider to VMM, I am unable to add classifications, and manage any storage pools. The odd thing is, the same simulator setup works if I use SCVMM 2012 BETA.

Upon adding the provider, I receive an error code within SCVMM: HostTypeNotSupported. If I view the properties of the properties and try again, the error changes to "NO PARAM: NO PARAM."

I am currenly trying to use:

SCVMM2012 RC Build 3.0.5007.0

OnTAPSMI-S Agent 4.0

NetApp OnTAPSimulator 7.3.6

I can't seem to find anyone with any insight as to why this might have broke between versions of SCVMM 2012.

Any input is appreciated!

21 REPLIES 21

nileshm

Hi Jeff,

Can you please provide information to below questions,

1. Please paste the output of below command from ONTAP SMIS Agent 4.0

smis <user> <passwd> list

smis <user> <passwd> version

smis <user> <passwd> luns

smis <user> <passwd> pools

smis <user> <passwd> initiators

2. Please remove the NetApp OntapSimulator instance from the ONTAP SMIS Agent 4.0 using below command and rerun the discovery at SCVMM 2012.

smis <user> <passwd> delete <ip of storage system>

Regards,

Nilesh

JEFFHARRIS

Thanks for the reply.

smis <user> <passwd> list

ONTAP_FilerData.hostname="192.168.0.201",port=80

smis <user> <passwd> version

ONTAP_SMIAgentSoftware.InstanceID="ONTAP:4.0X8"

smis <user> <passwd> luns

[I have not configured any luns, output was blank]

smis <user> <passwd> pools

ONTAP_DiskPrimordialPool.InstanceID="OPTAP:0099932695:Spare"

ONTAP_DiskPrimordialPool.InstanceID="OPTAP:0099932695:Other"

ONTAP_DiskPrimordialPool.InstanceID="OPTAP:0099932695:Present"

ONTAP_ConcretePool.InstanceID="ONTAP:0099932695:b5e32440-bf3a-11de-ae7b-005056134b9a"

smis <user> <passwd> initiators

ONTAP_StorageHardwareID.InstanceID="ONTAP:0099932695:ign.1991-05.com.microsoft.vmm.contoso.com"

After removing the simulator instance from the agent, (The only instance) I retried discovery in VMM 2012 and received this error:

nileshm

Hey Jeff,

You are using an old version (an X build) of the Ontap SMIS Agent 4.0

Please download latest bits from NOW site. Let us know if you hit the same issue with the new build.

Regards,

Nilesh

JEFFHARRIS

Unfortunately, this achieves the same exact result.

nileshm

Are you running the ONTAP SMIS agent on VMM.contoso.com ?

nileshm

If SCVMM is running on VMM.contoso.com then restart Microsoft Storage Management Service. This service communicates with SMIS providers. Let me know if this helps.

JEFFHARRIS

I've tried running the SMI-S Agent on VMM and on another server, same thing.

I just tried restarting the Microsoft Storage Management Service and that did not help either.

hprasad

Hi

I'm getting the precise same issue. The same error scenario.

I'm using OnTAP 8.02 on the FAS filer.

Restarting the service does not help and the SMI-S agent appears to connect successfully.

Any resolution to this so far? Or update on progress Jeff?

Thanks

Hari

JEFFHARRIS

Sorry no, I have not been able to resolve this problem.

I've been troubleshooting this for 3 weeks. Using the exact NetApp Simulator (running on Ubuntu virtual machine) with SCVMM 2012 BETA works just fine, but switching to SCVMM 2012 RC, it breaks as described above. No one seems to know why.

So you're note using a Simulator to test, but a physical device?

hprasad

Yes, it's a physical device. Running 8.02 in 7-mode. I've tried SMI-S 4.0 and 4.0X8 (Windows) and still no joy. I am also using the SCVMM RC version.

We have contacted the Microsoft product team and are waiting for their reply. I believe the error is in SCVMM 2012 RC and not the SMI-S agent at this stage.

nileshm

The error indicates that VMM server is not able to communicate with the agent (Microsoft Storage Management Service) running on VMM.contoso.com. Please collect the VMM logs and forward it to VMM Product team. Can you provide information regarding setup of VMM, SMIS agent and Filer. e.g. are they on the same subnet, are they able to ping each other using ip and hostname, is DNS properly configured. I would recommend reinstalling Microsoft Storage management service and then restarting VMM server.

hprasad

I have tested against a BETA version of SCVMM and this error does not occur. The classification of the pool is successful. This indicates that it may be an issue with the RC software specifically. I have updated the product team with this information.

In the meantime, does anybody have any further updates or pointers?

ggadzhiev

Everything works fine on RC.

I took the following steps to achieve the success:

1) I've Installed SMI-S 4.0 Agent on the same machine as SCVMM - I suppose it doesn't matter where you install it;

2) I've added FAS to SMI-S Agent using smis-commands via cmd:

smis agent_user agent_pwd add storage_sys storage_sys_user

storage_sys_pwd.

3) I've added storage provider as a SMI-S Agent Host, not the storage system address, storage systems addresses are stored in agent - so in my case it was localhost;

4) I've used the following port for connection:5988, NO SSL;

5) Works fine, just watch it:

JEFFHARRIS

That's good to hear that it's not totally broken, however I'm trying to develop a virtual machine demo that I can distribute, which means I need to use a virtual machine with the NetApp simulator.

The process you've outlined is exactly what I've been trying to use but it just doesn't seem to like the NetApp Simulator.

OUTLAW_CP

I have same problem with ONTAP Simulator + ONTAP SMI-S Agent 4.0 + VMM 2012 RC.

All goes OK when I adding a storage to SMI-S Agent and adding a provider to VMM 2012 RC.

But VMM failed when tried to add ONTAP Array to classification. I'm also receiving an error codes within SCVMM: HostTypeNotSupported and If I view the properties of the properties and try again, the error changes to "NO PARAM: NO PARAM." (see screenshots below)

Please, help me to find solution.

That's what we have command mentioned in a post on the forum:

C:\Windows\System32>smis Administrator Passw0rd list

ONTAP_FilerData.hostName="192.168.0.1",port=80

C:\Windows\System32>smis Administrator Passw0rd version

ONTAP_SMIAgentSoftware.InstanceID="ONTAP:4.0"

C:\Windows\System32>smis Administrator Passw0rd luns

ONTAP_StorageVolume.CreationClassName="ONTAP_StorageVolume",DeviceID="nBLdKogYoKao",SystemCreationClassName="ONTAP_StorageSystem",SystemName="ONTAP:0099927627"

C:\Windows\System32>smis Administrator Passw0rd pools

ONTAP_DiskPrimordialPool.InstanceID="ONTAP:0099927627:Spare"

ONTAP_DiskPrimordialPool.InstanceID="ONTAP:0099927627:Other"

ONTAP_DiskPrimordialPool.InstanceID="ONTAP:0099927627:Present"

ONTAP_ConcretePool.InstanceID="ONTAP:0099927627:cad959d0-0ad1-11e0-b207-005056041cc0"

ONTAP_ConcretePool.InstanceID="ONTAP:0099927627:5f5eff06-0888-11e1-b882-0050561aab39"

C:\Windows\System32>smis Administrator Passw0rd initiators

[empty]

ggadzhiev

Hello Again, Everybody!

Last week I tried to add 2 3040's to existing configuration on agent, that I mentioned before.

And... It failed totally, the only difference between working config and unworking is... DOT version...

1) WORKING STABLE: DOT VERSION = 7.3.4; FAS2020

2) UNWORKING (EPIC FAIL): DOT VERSION = 8.0.1RC1; FAS3040

SO, I Suppose it really depends on DOT version, but is seems to me very odd when old rusty DOT works fine with the very new System Center and new DOT Fails...

carian

All,

We are aware of the issue, and it has to do with a NetApp filer not having licenses for both iSCSI and FCP. We are working on a fix for the issue. It is not our intention to require customers to have both FCP and iSCSI licenses to use the SMI-S agent with SCVMM 2012.

ggadzhiev

I have both iSCSI and FCP licenses on 3040's and it doesn't make any sense - it fails like it was described by others.

PIMVANDEVIS

I'm having the exact same problem:

-VMM2012 RC

-SMI-S 4.0 on a seperate virtual machine which connects succesful

-Fysical NetApp FAS3140 version 7.3.6P1

I have succesfully addes the Storage Provider in VMM, but I'm unable tot set the storage array and add it to my classification.

I do have an iSCSI license, but i don't have a FCP license. Can this be the problem? And how do I fix this?I

ggadzhiev

Did You try installing SMI-S agent locally on SCVMM host?

Try this and write back, please.

Public