Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Powershell Toolkit AD Login not working

Erik_gruetter

Hey there

Since upgrading to Netapp Ontap Powershell Toolkit 9.11.1.2208 from PStoolkit 9.10.1.2111, AD login does not work anymore on our controllers:

Connect-NcController : The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.
At line:1 char:1
+ Connect-NcController XXX
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidResult: (XXX:NcController) [Connect-NcController], WebException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : HttpConnectionFailed,DataONTAP.C.PowerShell.SDK.ConnectNcController

However, when using PStoolkit 9.10.1.2111, AD login works without issues (even after reverting back from PStoolkit 9.11.1.2208). When using local accounts, the connection works without issues. Setting the option -https also does not help.

Best regards
Erik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hmoubara

Hello @Erik_gruetter 

Some Ontapi command does not have an equivalent REST API call, so you can use the -ONTAPI if you run into a command that is not working.

You can check the below documentation about mapping between Ontapi and REST API:

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2882104

Hope this answer your question.

Thanks 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

hmoubara

Hello @Erik_gruetter 

When connecting using a active directory account, add the -ZapiCall at the end of the connect command should do the trick.

Per example:

PS C:\Users\Administrator.DEMO> Connect-NcController x.x.x.x -cred demo\test -ZapiCall

Thanks 

Erik_gruetter

Thanks, that seems to work so far. However, as Zapi gets turned off end of this year, how are we supposed to connect to our controllers via AD once that happens?

hmoubara

Hello @Erik_gruetter 

Some Ontapi command does not have an equivalent REST API call, so you can use the -ONTAPI if you run into a command that is not working.

You can check the below documentation about mapping between Ontapi and REST API:

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2882104

Hope this answer your question.

Thanks 

JoshuaPost-M

Thank you.  I've been sitting on the Powershell Module 9.10 version waiting to figure out why I couldn't authenticate with my AD Service Account anymore.  Odd that neither -ONTAPI nor -ZAPICALL are listed when you do 'get-help connect-nccontroller' but both of them allow me to authenticate when I couldn't without them.

yuvaraju

Equivalent for Active-Directory ZAPI in REST API are planned for next ONTAP release

NEILHOLMES

Hi,

thanks for this post. We are currently running ONTAP 9.10.1P12. I have Powershell Toolkit 9.13.1 installed and the use of the -ZapiCall or -ONTAPI flag resolved my 401 connection issue. 

As ONTAP is now on version 9.13.1, I wondered if I can revisit your statement that "Equivalent for Active-Directory ZAPI in REST API are planned for next ONTAP release".

Once we upgrade our systems to ONTAP 9.13.1, will I need to change my Powershell scripts to stop using the -ZapiCall or -ONTAPI flags ?. Is this flag redundant in ONTAP 9.13.1?.

Many thanks.

Public