Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

SMVI Licensing

nsitps1976

If I have three ESX hosts and a FAS2040 (dual) at a primary site and two ESX hosts and a FAS2040 (single) at a DR site what SMVI licensing do I require?

I will also be using snapmirror integrated with SMVI for replicating VMs from primary to DR and I wont be running any VMs that require protection at the DR site....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

alli

I REALLY, REALLY recommend that you install VSC (Virtual Storage Console) instead of just SMVI. This installs on the vCenter server as a plugin and is extremely intuitive to use. This incorporates both RCU (Rapid Clone Util) and SMVI. Once installed, you literally right click on the vm or cluster or the datacenter to clone, backup/restore...it's AWESOME!

My question to you, do you have multiple vCenter servers? Depending on how complex your network is, you usually only need one. Add in all your ESX servers both at the primary and DR site. Do you plan to backup and restore at the DR? If so, yes SMVI needs to be purchased at the DR site. Other wise if your, just cloning from there...you only need flexclone. Either way, install VSC and uncheck which option (SMVI or RCU) applies. VSC is available on the NOW site to download.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

nsitps1976

Ok, I am sold on the VSC (I will do some reading)..

One vCentre and no, we will not be backing up at the DR site, however we will want to do DR tests (I believe flexclone is sufficient for this ?)

verdur1111

The difference is SMVI will communicate with vSphere to take a VMware Snapshot that ensures the virtual machine is in quiet state.  If you are using SnapMirror, SMVI has the ability to kick off the replication to a remote site from within the application as soon as the backup is complete.  In addition, SMVI contains the ability to perform single file restore and individual vmdk restores.  More information on the product can be found in the NetApp SMVI TR-3737.  This is currently for version 1.0 but will (hopefully) be updated for 2.0 shortly.When installing SMVI and adding the storage, create an account on the storage subsystem for smvi use.

verdura a domicilio

*Only those who are asleep make no mistakes*

Public