Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Snapshot Comment not returned

tbernhardson

I'm writing a script that requires 3 attributes of a snapshot: Name, Created, and Comment. The problem I'm running into is twofold.

First, the Get-NcSnapshot command is not returning the Comment attribute of snapshots. According to the '-Attributes' parameter description: "If not specified, all data is returned for each object." However the Comment can only be retrieved when using the '-Attributes' parameter with an appropriate query template (e.g $query.Comment = $true). This would be fine except...

Second, when trying to set the query template to retrieve the Created field (e.g. $query.Created = $true) it returns an error:

'Created' is a ReadOnly property.
At line:1 char:1
+ $Query.Created = $true
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [], RuntimeException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PropertyAssignmentException

I can retrieve all the information I need but it requires two calls to Get-NcSnapshot. The first to retrieve the bulk of the attributes, most of which I don't need, and an additional call just for the Comment.

Is there a way I can set the query template to retrieve the Created attribute? If not, can this be noted as a bug and fixed in the next release?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tbernhardson

Well, that explains why the Comment attribute isn't being returned. Unfortunately the Created attribute is still not accessible with the -Attributes parameter:

This works fine:

Get-NcVol | Get-NcSnapshot -Attributes @{ "name" = ""; "comment" = "" }  | select-object Name,Comment

But this:

Get-NcVol | Get-NcSnapshot -Attributes @{ "name" = ""; "comment" = ""; "created" = "" }  | select-object Name,Comment,Created

Returns:

Get-NcSnapshot : Cannot bind parameter 'Attributes'. Cannot create object of type
"DataONTAP.C.Types.Snapshot.SnapshotInfo". "AccessTimeDT" is a ReadOnly property.
At line:1 char:40
+ ...  -Attributes @{ "name" = ""; "comment" = ""; "created" = "" }  | sele ...
+                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-NcSnapshot], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgumentNoMessage,DataONTAP.C.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Snapshot.GetNcSnapshot

EDIT: I suppose it helps to read the entire thread you linked instead of just the Accepted Solution

This works fine:

Get-NcVol | Get-NcSnapshot -Attributes @{ "name" = ""; "comment" = ""; "accesstime" = "" }  | select-object Name,Comment,Created

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RajeshPanda

tbernhardson

Well, that explains why the Comment attribute isn't being returned. Unfortunately the Created attribute is still not accessible with the -Attributes parameter:

This works fine:

Get-NcVol | Get-NcSnapshot -Attributes @{ "name" = ""; "comment" = "" }  | select-object Name,Comment

But this:

Get-NcVol | Get-NcSnapshot -Attributes @{ "name" = ""; "comment" = ""; "created" = "" }  | select-object Name,Comment,Created

Returns:

Get-NcSnapshot : Cannot bind parameter 'Attributes'. Cannot create object of type
"DataONTAP.C.Types.Snapshot.SnapshotInfo". "AccessTimeDT" is a ReadOnly property.
At line:1 char:40
+ ...  -Attributes @{ "name" = ""; "comment" = ""; "created" = "" }  | sele ...
+                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-NcSnapshot], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgumentNoMessage,DataONTAP.C.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Snapshot.GetNcSnapshot

EDIT: I suppose it helps to read the entire thread you linked instead of just the Accepted Solution

This works fine:

Get-NcVol | Get-NcSnapshot -Attributes @{ "name" = ""; "comment" = ""; "accesstime" = "" }  | select-object Name,Comment,Created
Public