Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Using PowerCLI with Flexclone rapidclone

jgriffin123

Hi,

I have a PowerCLI script that allows me to clone Linux Vm's from a template and configure their customisations from a csv file. Creating 5 Vm's can take 50mins+..

We recently invested in FlexClone licensing with our NetApp and I'm wondering how/if I could update my script to use the rapidclone technology from NetApp instead of the  "CloneVM_Task" to clone the Vm's faster.

I would also like for the script to first check if a clone to be created (VMName from csv file) already exists and if so skip...

Here is my existing script

Connect-VIServer YOUR VCENTER

Import-CSV -path linuxvdi.csv | `

ForEach-Object {

Get-OSCustomizationSpec LinuxVDI | Get-OSCustomizationNicMapping | Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping -IpMode UseStaticIP -IPAddress $_.IpAddress -Subnetmask $_.SubnetMask -DefaultGateway$_.DefaultGateway

New-VM -Name $_.VMName -VMHost $_.VMHost -Template $_.Template -Datastore $_.Datastore -Description $_.Description -OSCustomizationSpec LinuxVDI -RunAsync

}

while (Get-Task -Status Running | where {$_.Name -eq "CloneVM_Task"}){sleep 10}

Get-Task -Status Success | where {$_.Name -eq "CloneVM_Task"} | %{(Get-View -Id$_.Result).PowerONVM($null)}

The Column heading's in my csv file are

VMName

VMHost

Template

Datastore

IPAddress

Subnetmask

DefaultGateway

Description

I installed the DataONTAP Toolkit but have used cmdlets like this before..

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

1 REPLY 1

costea

Hi Jason,

You can use the cmdlets here (https://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-11407) along with the VSC to create the clones for you.

-George

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public