Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

-ZapiRetryCount

WHITECLOUD

There's a parameter on most of the cluster mode commandlets called -zapiretrycount.  I didn't see documentation around it.  What does it do?  In what cases would it be useful?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

beam

ZapiRetryCount is an undocumented parameter used by projects embedding the PowerShell Toolkit in a larger .Net application.  Occasionally, errors can occur that are resolved if the command is simply resent (for example, a network connection is momentarily lost).  The ZapiRetryCount parameter defines how many times to retry sending a command if one of these errors occur.

-Steven

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

beam

ZapiRetryCount is an undocumented parameter used by projects embedding the PowerShell Toolkit in a larger .Net application.  Occasionally, errors can occur that are resolved if the command is simply resent (for example, a network connection is momentarily lost).  The ZapiRetryCount parameter defines how many times to retry sending a command if one of these errors occur.

-Steven

WHITECLOUD

Thanks for the nice response.  I'm not using a .net application but it would seem to be just as useful in a powershell script.  Do you know what the default is?  Do you know how I would tell if a retry occurred?  Would I get the same output if it succeeded correctly the first time as I would if it failed and succeeded on a retry?  I'm speaking more about get operations that stream in that I am assigning to a variable.  I wouldn't want duplicate objects in the variable since it took multiple tries to get all the data.

beam

The retry happens transparently from PowerShell's perspective.  The only way you would know it even happened is if you were monitoring the logs.

The default value is 0 (i.e. no retries are attempted).

-Steven

Public