Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

how/where does Add-NcCredentials cache credentials

as

Hi all,

I wonder how and where Add-NcCredentials caches the credentials...

Looks like it is persistent on reboots but where exactly and how are the credentials cached?

Is there a scenario where you could loose the set credentials and re-enter them again?

thanks,

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

beam

Hi Alex,

The credentials are stored in a file in the common application data folder.  The usernames and passwords are encrypted and only accessible by the user that added the credentials (or by any user on the system, if -SystemScope is used when the credentials are added).  The only situation where you would need to re-enter the credentials is if the file is deleted (or otherwise corrupted), or if the credentials change and need to be updated.

Thanks,

Steven

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

beam

Hi Alex,

The credentials are stored in a file in the common application data folder.  The usernames and passwords are encrypted and only accessible by the user that added the credentials (or by any user on the system, if -SystemScope is used when the credentials are added).  The only situation where you would need to re-enter the credentials is if the file is deleted (or otherwise corrupted), or if the credentials change and need to be updated.

Thanks,

Steven

as

Hey Steven,

Thanks for the explanation!

Best regards,

Alex

Nick_Elliott

Where excactly is that?  I've tried removing the powershell toolkit and running a search for netapp powershell on my machine.  I am trying to delete this credential store.

asulliva

Hi @Nick_Elliott,

I believe the location is C:\ProgramData\OnCommand\Common.

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

Nick_Elliott

Perfect!  That really helped.

UdoJulius

Hello All

i am struggling with the same issue. As i wanted to clean my credentials i could not delete credentials from systems, that have been removed or renamed meanwhile.

I can not find the path suggested in the solution.

So please:

Is it possible to force remove-nccredential for a host entry that does not exists anymore??

I don't understand why its not possible to delete entries for non existing storage clusters or vservers.

Or is it possible to delete the whole file, where the credentials are stored? And if yes, i like to have the path where the credentials are stored.

While i was typing, iwas able to find this path C:\ProgramData\OnCommand\Common.

Thank you!!!!!

OzStu

This is the second bit I needed!

We get round-robin'd to one of several jump hosts, and when I get dumped on a new host, I lose my credentials!

Now I have taken a copy of StorageSystems.xml and copied it to C:\ProgramData\OnCommand\Common, and viola, I have my credentials on the new box!

Dsteph

What type of encryption is used?

Derek

Public