Network and Storage Protocols

Access denied to some folders in snapshot on nfs-volume from backup server

emillundgren

Hi

I have a rather strange problem with accessing some content in snapshots folders on a nfs-volume used by vmware esx-hosts. I'm using a backup script on the esx-hosts that creates snapshots on the filer (FAS2020) which works fine.

I then want to acces these snapshots from our Windows TSM-server to take backups of the snapshots using cifs. I have created a cifs-share to the snapshot folder and the TSM-server can read and copy files from 7 of the 10 virtual machine folders that the snapshot consists of. When trying to acces the other 3 folders you get:  "Foldername" is not accesible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Access denied.

Why are these folders unaccessible when the other folders work just fine? It would make sense if no folders were accesible because then it would obviously be somethin wrong with the permissions or someting like that.

If you browse the datastore on the esx-hosts you can read all folders in the snapshot so there is nothing wrong with the snapshot.

Any suggestions of what could be wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

keitha

Anything different about those folder names? Something that Windows wouldn't like? Perhaps a space or an odd character?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

keitha

Anything different about those folder names? Something that Windows wouldn't like? Perhaps a space or an odd character?

arndt

Do you have the convert_ucode and create_ucode vol options set on the volume in question? 

emillundgren

Problem solved, I had named the snapshots vmsnap.1, vmsnap.2 and so on since I based my script on backup example-script in TR3428. Created another snapshot named vmsnap1 without . in the name and it seems to have solved the problem, strange though that only some subfolders were affected by this.

Thank you for your quick response.

Public