Network and Storage Protocols

Copy Qtree data to the containing volume

aMOL

Hi Everyone,

Greetings!!!

I have a specific application requirement in which i have to move data from Qtree to its volume.

eg. data from qtree 1 ( /vol/vol1/qtree1 ) to its containing aggregate (/vol/vol1). So we want to reduce on directory structure.

I checked mv command but i think it only works to move files containing a folder but not specificially folder.

Is there any easy method to achieve this?

Pls help on urgent basis.

Thanks & Best Regards

Amol Ghadigaonkar

6 REPLIES 6

mbeattie

Hi,

Are you using clustered data ONTAP or 7-Mode? What protocol is used by clients to access the data in the qtree (NFS or CIFS)?

/matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

aMOL

Hello Matt,

Appreciated your quick response. ONTAP 7-Mode is in used. Client is using CIFS protocol.

We just migrated data from EMC celera to NetApp, but while doing ROBOCOPY instead of copying data directly to volume we create Qtree and copied the data (size around 1TB).

Now while checking the application we found the mistake.

As NetApp mostly working as a virtualized solution, i think there might be some easy solution (changing the Pointers) ...ndmpcopy will also take time.

I need a tricky solution which will take less time to change the pointer from qtree to volume.

Regards

Amol Ghadigaonkar

mbeattie

Hi Amol,

Given it's an NTFS file system, you are essentially moving a subfolders/files to a parent folder in the same volume so a copy operation is not required. The most efficent method in this scenario would be to simply move the data. You could do that in windows explorer (assuming you create a CIFS share to the root of the volume) traverse into the qtree (CTRL-A, CTRL-X, browse back to the root of the volume and CTRL-V) then delete the qtree but you might also want to consider robocopy.exe with the /move parameter as a more robust solution. I would advise deleting the CIFS share at the qtree level to ensure clients can't write to it whilst you are attempting to move the data and you might also consider temporarily disabling snapshots on the volume.

Also you could easily test this scenario by taking a flexclone of the volume first then moving the data as mentioned above. This will enable you to non-disruptively test your change without consuming any additional storage capacity.

/matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

NetApp_Lover

Thanks for your reply.

But i am trying to avoid robocopy as we have done lot of robocopy to move data from celera to netapp.

I want and quick solution which will change the pointers from qtree to its hosting aggregate.

deepuj

In addition to Matt's questions, some inputs from my end.

Assuming that you are running 7 mode, you can try using ndmp for this,

More details : https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1196992/html/GUID-0D32E86D-3DDC-4E91-AAA5-4C6DF05A4AB1.html

mv is technically not a file copy.

aMOL

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

ndmpcopy would be the last option.

I want some tricky solution like changing the points from qtree to volume like that...Netapp is virtualization technology so i think there might be something which can help me.

appreciated your response.

Regards

Amol Ghadigaonkar

Public