Network and Storage Protocols

Restoring from Previous Versions, Windows 7

HendersonD

FAS3020 running OnTap 7.3.2 with SMB 2.0 enabled. When we right click on a home directory and choose the Previous Versions tab we are seeing snapshots going back two weeks which is what I expect. I can open one of these fine. When we try dragging files from one of these previous versions back to the home directory it will not work under Windows 7. It works fine under Windows XP. Any ideas?

17 REPLIES 17

nigelg1965

Type \\myfiler\myvol\ ~snapshot

You then get a list of snapshots available.

I believe NetApp are working on the underlying issue.

HendersonD

So this is a known issue that Netapp is working on solving? Should I open a ticket? Is there some type of article or burt on the Now site that speaks to this?

nigelg1965

From Microsoft via Google

NetApp has logged a bug for this issue:
http://now.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=373136

Bug ID     373136
Title     Previous-versions tab does not list entries on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
Duplicate of     
Bug Severity    3 - Serious inconvenience
Bug Status    Fixed
Product    Data ONTAP
Bug Type    CIFS
Description
When Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 clients are used to access CIFS shares
offered by Data ONTAP, and if the older SMB 1.0 protocol is being used, then
the Windows Explorer "Previous Versions" tab for files or folder properties may
fail to list any existing previous versions.

Workaround
If circumstances permit, the problem may be avoided by use of the newer
SMB 2.0 protocol.

Notes
Before enabling the SMB 2.0 protocol, make sure that the release of
Data ONTAP in use is not susceptible to the bug 356893.

Fixed-In Version   
    * Data ONTAP 7.2.7P1 (First Fixed) - Fixed
    * Data ONTAP 7.3.3 (GD) - Fixed
    * Data ONTAP 7.3.5 (GA) - Fixed
    * Data ONTAP 8.0.1 (GA) - Fixed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We see it and are using Data ONTAP Release 7.3.2P4D1

HendersonD

I think you misunderstood my question. The bug talks about not seeing anything in the Previous Version tab under Windows 7. I have enabled SMB 2.0 so I am seeing all of my snapshots in the Previous Versions tab. What I cannot do is open one of these snapshots and copy and item from there back to the home directory where it was deleted from

Firewall1976

Having the exact same issues as you, works from XP but errors with (no longer exists) form Win 7

HendersonD

I may open a case about this. Our only work around now is to send the end user to a Windows XP machine. Over the next 2-3 years that will become increasingly difficult as we phase out XP and move towards Windows 7

michaelluksch

Hi guys, any news on that matter?

We recently ran into the very same bug(?).

regards, michael

edit:

if anyone wonders, ONTAP release is 8.0.1..

christopher_grunte

Same thing here. Did you ever get this resolved?

Br,

Christopher

Firewall1976

Not yet.

Looking to upgrade to OnTap 8 soon so hoping that the issue goes in that

michaelluksch

netapp is still working on this one..

their current guess is, that its the security-style of the qtree which is causing this..i dont't believe.. just for the records, which security styles does your volume and/or qtree have the affected share lies on?

tia & hf,

michael

Firewall1976

They’re all on NTFS

hadrian

Hi OP,

Is this the error you are seeing?

The issue I am seeing is Previous Versions works, SMB2 works fine, traversing into snapshots and Previous Versions works fine for the most part.  Only intermittently on certain directories (this one happens to contain very many files) we get the above error message.  Duplicating using Previous Versions to traverse this particular directory on a Windows XP client does not exhibit the issue.  Only with Windows 7. 

qqjd

Hi all,

Is there any news on this issue?

We have the same problem (Ontap 7.3.2 using SMB2.0):

- Previous versions are listed correctly.

- Restore of folders or files from subfolders on Windows 7/2008-R2 result in: "the previous version of....... no longer exists" or when just copy/paste: nothing happens.

- In XP everything works fine.

Thx,

Jacques

simon_austin

We have the exact same problem here too. FAS3140 on 7.3.2 w/ SMB2.0.

hadrian

Hello Posters,

The last time I was troubleshooting this issue, we were going to try a registry hack - Step 5 of the following KB https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=2011417

Please give that a shot and if it doesn't work log a NetApp Support case and share what the resolution is.

Thanks,

Hadrian

qqjd

Hello Posters,

Does anyone have information on the performance-impact when disabling the Directory caching on all clients ?

Thanks,

Jacques.

qqjd

Netapps anwer:

Its related to

Bug  403828   Failed to restore a deleted directory from the Previous Version tab in Windows 7 over SMB2.0.

1. The file can directly be copied from \\filer\share_name\~snapshot directory.

2. Disable SMB2 on the storage system and restore the directory from the Previous Version Tab.

Fixed in

Data ONTAP 7.3.3P5 (First Fixed) - Fixed

Data ONTAP 7.3.6 (GA) - Fixed

Data ONTAP 8.0.2 (GA) - Fixed

Data ONTAP 8.1RC2 (RC) - Fixed

They have the following recommendations:

===================================

A) Access Snapshots by mapping a drive to the root of the volume ( need a share point at the root) and traverse the ~snapshot directory.

B) Upgrade from ONTap 7.3.2 to   ONTap  7.3.6P5

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/ontap/7.3.6P5/

C)  What performance impact if the following is completed ( 5  in this article )

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=2011417

=> This cannot be quantitatively defined by NetApp but is a Microsoft support question.

Disable Directory Caching on the Windows Client. To do this, create a new DWORD registry key named DirectoryCacheLifetime in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Lanmanworkstation\Parameters and set the value to 0. You might need to reboot the Windows client for the setting to take effect. Note that this might have a negative performance impact. See Microsoft Technet for further information

Public