Network and Storage Protocols

to replace FAS2050 with FAS3140. what about data?

saudkhanafridi

hi ev, eryone,

we have FAS2050 with 4 FC diskshelves and no major space left on storage , now we want  replace with FAS3140 so my quaskery is how to carry out this repalcement taskr

should we straight away replace the FAS2050 with FAS3140 and check whether fas 3140 recognize the disks or we t to take backup and do installation from scratch and the make luns and availiable it DB.

please guide

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nigelg1965

If you are really not using the internal disks on 2050 and I assume you've disks on the 3140 already holding it's root volume.

You would simply need to connect the disks to the 3140 and then change ownership of disks. Some reconfig on the Oracle server is likely, if only to tell it the new wwwn or FQN of the filer holding its luns.

In conclusion, yes it's possible, based on what you've said it should be fairly straightforward. But I wouldn't want to be doing without a NetApp or qualified 3rd party engineer present.

Good luck

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

aborzenkov

Do you have separate aggregates for internal and external drives? If yes

- Where is root aggregate located?

- Do you need to preserve data on internal drives?

saudkhanafridi

thank u for ur time,

by internal if u mean the disk drives in disk shelves and by external if u mean backups so we use tapes for that matter so yes, now data is preserved on tapes and live data reside on internal disk drives and the root aggregate lies on internal disk drives in disk shelves

please correct me if i am mistaken.

Regards

nigelg1965

What I think aborzenov is asking is, are your root volumes (vol0) on the disks in the internal slots of the 2050 itself, on the disks of the extra shelves or spread across the two.

If the internal disks contain any volume you want to keep things are going to be complex, especially if any volume is spread across internal and external disks. You don't really need to keep the root vol, as it will be completely different for a 3140 to a 2050.

If any volumes you want to keep is wholly on the external disks then you should be ok to just move the shelves across, assuming the 3140 already has some disks on its own which contain its own root vols.

Any other scenarios will involve a lot of work.

I assume you've the 3140 going spare rather than going to buy one new (it's an old model)

saudkhanafridi

thank u for explanation nigelg1965  and i got it

Now we have our root vol and all aggregates on the external drives and we need to preserve data on external drives as it holds our SAN (LUNS) and NAS data, so kindly if elaborate it little more how i can replace it with 3140 as behind it there is oracle 11 g R2,  two nodes RAC , so we wnat that the RAc should not be re-configured.

please explain, thank You

Regards

nigelg1965

If you are really not using the internal disks on 2050 and I assume you've disks on the 3140 already holding it's root volume.

You would simply need to connect the disks to the 3140 and then change ownership of disks. Some reconfig on the Oracle server is likely, if only to tell it the new wwwn or FQN of the filer holding its luns.

In conclusion, yes it's possible, based on what you've said it should be fairly straightforward. But I wouldn't want to be doing without a NetApp or qualified 3rd party engineer present.

Good luck

saudkhanafridi

Thank you Sir, let me try

aborzenkov

Yes, you are right, this is exactly what I mean.

I would recommend to keep vol0 if at all possible. Some settings related to LUN/initiator groups will be lost and need to be manually recreated again unless original root volume is preserved.

So I would try

- Relocate all volumes (including root volume) to external disk shelves and make sure no internal disks are used

- Then simply do head swap reusing existing root volume. This will ensure all settings are preserved

- Then connect any additional shelves if they exist

If aggregates are built using both internal and external disks, it becomes more complicated indeed and I think the best is to arrange for professional service with experience to do it.

Public