Network and Storage Protocols

vCenter, VSC, NetApp and NFS Shares

StoragePadawan

Can I recoop ips given to an SVM? 

I have an SVM configured with 8 IP addresses. The SVM is also set up with 8 different NFS volumes. The volumes are used by vCenter and are linked by one of the individuals IPs. Meaning NFS share 1 uses IP 1.1.1.1, NFS Share 2 uses 1.1.1.2, and so on. At least, that is what I see when I look at the VSC plugin in vCenter, under STorage Systems > Interface. 

Can I have 2 IPs for my SVM and each of the NFS Shares is reached by one of those two IPs? 

Do I have to remove that Storage System from VSC and rediscover it to do that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

StoragePadawan

Well, after much reading and pushing buttons my solution was found using the API tool. The Application I was asking about was created with and managed using APIs. Once I figured this out I was able to modify it as needed.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pedro_rocha

Hi, let me try to help

You want to get back 2 IPs (from  08 ) configured for 2 LIFs in a specific SVM? You would then use those IPs addresses in another place.

Do you know which of those IPs were used to add the SVM to VSC?

Ideally you should have add the storage system via a management IP/LIF.

StoragePadawan

You want to get back 2 IPs (from  08 ) configured for 2 LIFs in a specific SVM? You would then use those IPs addresses in another place. 

**YES, BUT I want to take back 6 of the 8 IPs . SVM1 is configured with 8 LIFs (1.1.1.1, 1.1.1.2, 1.1.1.3, 1.1.1.4,  and so on). SVM1 has 8 NFS volumes (NFSVol1, NFSVol2, NFSVol03, and so on). Does SVM1 need all 8 IPs for those volumes? Can I use two IPs for all 8 volumes? Nothing is connected to these volumes.*********

Do you know which of those IPs were used to add the SVM to VSC?

Each one of the 8 IPs is connected to VSC for each of the NFS shares.

StoragePadawan

I do not know which one. How can I see that?  Does each NFS share have to be connected in that way? can they all use one IP?

pedro_rocha

You could have all the shares connected through a single IP. Or for sake of load balancing through 2 IP one on each controller (in the same SVM)

normally you would connect the vsc through a management IP address of the SVM. Do the SVM has any management LIF?

network interface show

StoragePadawan

The SVM does not have a management LIF. It only has the 8 data LIFs. I noticed something else today. There is an application somehow connected to the SVM and the NFS shares. What is this "application"? Where can I find more information on it? It appears to be managing the shares in some way. (no my actually netapp in the pic, just an example)Capture.PNG

StoragePadawan

Well, after much reading and pushing buttons my solution was found using the API tool. The Application I was asking about was created with and managed using APIs. Once I figured this out I was able to modify it as needed.

Public