Network and Storage Protocols

vfiler root password not being accepted by powershell connect-nacontroller - how can I validate?

danekantner

So I've been having trouble connecting to one particular vfiler as the root credential in the Powershell toolkit. We use the same password on all the other ones I connected to, I was attempting to use saved na-credentials (in my profile, non-system scope) but tried explicitly connecting w/ credentials too.  I went in via SSH to the controller, and then switched to the vfiler context and ran "passwd" on root and changed it to the same password I already thought it was, retried, no dice.  I then added a new user "admin2" --attempting to add it with the same password--but it says the password is invalid because it requires a number.  Our standard admin password is a lot of characters and a mix of cases, but no numbers.  So I used another password, it took it... and now when I connect via powershell direct to the vfiler, it works when I use that credential.  Both users are in the local administrators group on the filer itself.

Anyone have any idea what could be going on?

BTW the error when using Connect-NaController laxsal1-credential root was:

(I typically do just connect-nacontroller laxsal1 and it should use the saved credential, which I added/removed several times; same error either way).

Connect-NaController : Incorrect credentials for laxsal1.

At line:1 char:21

+ Connect-NaController <<<<  laxsal1 -credential root

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidResult: (laxsalflr01:NaController) [Connect-NaController], NaAuthException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : HttpConnectionFailed,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.ConnectNaController

Connect-NaController laxsalflr01 -credential admin2

(admin2 being the new) works fine.

Since I can't ssh to the vfiler itself, how can I validate on the vfiler somewhere else that the root password is accepted as we have it set?  Is there something equivalent to a sudo command that would force it to prompt me and validate root? 

1 REPLY 1

danekantner

also, likely completely unrelated but maybe some guru knows... or maybe there's some odd corruption item that could relate, who knows.  Now that I got in as admin2 I'm a bit more confused than when I started.

This particular filer should be configured as though it's using NT homedir matching... but both "cifs homedir" in CLI under vfiler context, and the get-nacifshomedir commands return that it is not.  Yet there aren't explicit shares configured for each ID, and it's working with the NT style matching... "No CIFS home directory paths." ... I can load the volume via the share for where the home dirs are and see there are 93 directories there w/ NT names and the clients map as \\laxsal1\uid ...  can I be missing something?

Public