ONTAP Discussions

2012 HYper v Virtual machines which is running in 7 mode, can run in hyper v 2022 in ontap 9.9.1p7

satya1992_

Dear Experts, 

Currently, my existing environment is running in 7 mode with hyper v 2012 having 30 virtual machines including windows and Linux.  Windows 2012 hyper v is installed in the local storage of the server. and All the virtual machines' hard disks including OS and DATA are residing in the Netapp storage.

Now I want to migrate the volumes from the 7mode to Ontap 9.9.1 using the 7mode MTT tool. once the volumes migrated successfully, will the virtual volumes run in the new windows hypervisor 2022?

Kindly advise

Kind Regards

Satya

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ontapforrum
5 REPLIES 5

aladd

This might be a better question for Microsoft, we simply transfer everything over (in tact) to the new storage through the copy based 7 MTT. However as far as I know, we no longer support SMHV and SnapCenter does not natively back up Hyper-V.

satya1992_

Thank you @aladd for your response.

can we use snapshots that is taken from the Netapp 7mode in the ONTAP9.9.1 version?

Ontapforrum

You can as long as snapshots are not 32-bit.

Finding and removing 32-bit volumes and Snapshot copies (netapp.com)

satya1992_

Hi  Ontapforrum  

I have transferred the volume along with the snapshot from the 7mode  to the DataOntap cluster mode and created a volume from the snapshot, presented it to the host, and it's working fine. 

Ontapforrum

Well done, that's good news. Thanks for letting us know.

Public